Aam's Comp

Moderator: Officers

Turook

Aam's Comp

Post by Turook »

I have been doing some more research for you Aam.
Apparently if the processor you have is an intel blah blah D type, you will not be able to fix what is happening. Got chatting to a friend and everyone who has a D type processor have not as yet been able to fix their problems with gaming, it's not just EQ and WoW related.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

AMD for the win....
Giustin

Post by Giustin »

Aam processor is not D type

Its a standard P4 660
LGA775
3.6GHz
800MHz FSB
Turook

Post by Turook »

G can you post the stats on all the hardware?

I am seeing a lot of posts that say that once 300gig sata Seagate drives that people were using were swapped for other, it fixed the same problem for them. I fail to see how this could work, but with computers who knows.

Aam is going to try the set affinity fix, but I'm fk'd if I can see that being any benifit.
Giustin

Post by Giustin »

Case: Cooler Master WaveMaster TAC-T01-E1C w/Antec 550W PSU
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 660 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3600F - Retail
Cooling: Thermalright XP-90C w/92mm Fan
Motherboard: MSI 925XE Neo Platinum
Memory: 1GB (2x512) Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X1024 4300C3
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA
Video Card: GeForce 7800GT 256-MB PCI Express
CD/DVD-RW: Pioneer 16x DVD+RW/-RW DVR-110D OEM
Floppy: Generic
Operating System: Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

I have seen one or two similar posts, and I also fail to see how changing the HD would fix the issue. If the HD had an issue, it would have an issue with everything, not just EQ. From all the discussions we have had regarding this machine, and seeing that all the hardware has been replaced atleast once, I will be very surprised if its a hardware problem.
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Has the motherboard and RAM been replaced? A dodgy area of RAM might not showup for all games for example.

Intermittent freezing does sound more like hardware than software though.

Sounds like you have reinstalled the Software/OS/Drivers which is a common cause.

MeloxXx
Giustin

Post by Giustin »

MB, RAM, Processor, Video card, pwr supply have all been changed. All drivers are current, and Windows has been re-installed.

The box has succesfully run 3DMark 05 with the correct results for its spec (can't remember the score, but it was were it should have been).

Its got me buggered.
Huyio

Post by Huyio »

G have you tried other games.. or is it EQ only. Try taking the side off the case and run a fan straight at the northbridge and CPU.. i remember reading that Prescotts run hot..

Got service pack 2 on xp?

Cant think of anything else... too tired to think.

H :orccool:
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

How was EQ installed on the new machine, was it a brand new install from disks? Or an image of the old installation?

I have had some problems running from a brand new install.

MeloxXx
Huyio

Post by Huyio »

Ignore the Service Pack 2 question... didnt read properly

Aamasie

Post by Aamasie »

I have reinstalled EQ on this machine multiple times, always starting from the original disks.
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Hmm, if you can burn CD's on your old comp, or they are networked together, try simply copying the entire EQ directory to the new comp. I would copy it to the same path.

No high hopes of it making a difference tho =/

MeloxXx
Aamasie

Post by Aamasie »

The freezing problem also occurs in WoW, it's not just an EQ problem although WoW seems to be able to recover better when it freezes. EQ just goes into the freeze loop, freezes for 15 or 20 seconds, recovers for 5, than freezes again and keeps recycling. If I camp out, it counts down 30, 25, 5 and campout.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Look I know you dont want to hear this but I am pretty sure the Prescott modle your using - uses Hyperthreading. Hyperthreading generally = pretend dualcore.

In my book that means you should look at treating it exactly the same as a dual core AMD. Issues I have seen with my dualcore were very similar to the issues you are talking about Aam. WoW also has these issues but they were supposed to be resolved by a patch. Thats the only thing which throws me off there.

The only other thing I am seeing that "could" be a problem is the increases "stepping" technology the processor uses. Its got some stuff built into it to throttle down itself if its idle (which it shouldnt be) or if its overheating (your solution makes me think thats unlikely as well)

Easy way to see if this really is the case with regards hyperthreading is to force everquest to run on one virtual processor. Try "runfirst"

http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/

I forget the exact command line you need but its something like

%runfirstpath%\runfirst "%everquest install dir%\everquest.exe"

eg. c:\runfirst d:\everquest\everquest.exe

I use eqwin 2.0 now as its easier for me to dualbox but the above will force it to use the first "virtual" cpu in your computer IF thats what the problem actually is.

Humour me and try it - might not be the problem but easy enough to check eh?
Huyio

Post by Huyio »

I currently run a P4 2.6c with Hyperthreading and I have no troubles with EQ. However, have a go at Mazzies suggestion. The easiest solution is to actually disable the hyperthreading in the bios and try that.

Does the game go in the freezing cycle the minute you go in, or does it take some time?

Is it only the game that freezes or is the whole computer?.. try alt-tabbing out of eq in windows and opening some programs.

Maybe try and disable Windows XP firewall (it suxs anyways).

and try what i suggested before and take off the side of the case and put a fan blowing at the computer. It might not be the Processor, but it could be the northbridge.

varutia

Post by varutia »

Aam said it happen in WoW as well, this suggest issue is not related to EQ. Does it happen while you doing anything else, especially other games as well. I'd say work out exactly what type of applications have this problem, then what is common between these application.

Also may want to disable the AV you are using to see what happens. I have had this case where AVG scans the document files where EQ opens and creates a bag lag.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

WoW also has these issues but they were supposed to be resolved by a patch. Thats the only thing which throws me off there.
humour me
Aamasie

Post by Aamasie »

I have already done this:
Start the EQ patcher.
Right click on the Windows taskbar, and select "Task Manager".
Click on the "Processes" tab of Task Manager.
Right click on the everquest.exe line, and select "Set Affinity...".
Un-check ALL boxes except for CPU 0.
Click on OK.
Close Task Manager.
Continue to run Everquest.
which is the same as what was suggested by Mazia?

It didn't help. :(
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

I had various success with the change the patcher affinity in task manager when I was troubleshooting - it wasnt relyable. Runfirst worked every time. But from what your saying its possibly not the fix.

Skipping and lockups.... hrrrm.

I would turn off any and all power saveing / throttleing options in the OS and in the BIOS. Will have a look at the board manual a little later.

Latest video drivers I assume have been done to death.

Try turning off sound in game see if it makes a difference.

See what hardware is useing what IRQ in the sysinformation tool as well and post the items that are shareing IRQs
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Remember that turning of sound in game, doesnt turn of sound... Just turns the volume off.

What you need to do is create an empty file called NOSOUND.TXT in your everquest directory. This totally disables sound at the lowest level.

Worth a try

MeloxXx
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Mentioned your issues to a few guys at work. All three of them replied that its likely the speedstepping build into your processor. They also said that this isnt supposed to kick in till the processor hits 90degrees C

They then went on to suggest getting your heat sink removed and reinstalled with both surfaces cleaned and a thin layer of arctic silver.

Anyways thats some more suggestions. Their theory is that the heatsinc was installed using a thermal tape instead of a paste compound. Then ripped off to install the aftermarket cooler. Then reinstalled - poorly.

They all work with systems 24x7 and two of them have the same model processor so hope thats of some help.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

D:\Everquest\RunFirst.exe everquest.exe

Is what I have as my shortcut. Basically my everquest is installed into

d:\everquest

the file that runs everquest patcher is

everquest.exe

what I do is copy the runfirst.exe into my everquest folder. The I make a shortcut on my desktop

>right click > new > shortcut.

a wizard will run. it asks for some information into the first line I type in

D:\Everquest\RunFirst.exe everquest.exe

that is pointing to the runfirst.exe I copied into my D drive. Then on the same line after it runs that it tells the program start everquest.exe.

If what you have typed in is right it will ask you to name it then you can finish and it should be right to go.
Aamasie

Post by Aamasie »

With Maz's help (thanks Mazia), I created a runfirst file, which didn't fix the problem. :(

Couple questions to answer:

The time between signing on and when it starts to freeze varies, but it's usually fairly quick, i.e. a couple minutes to 5 or 10. Zone doesn't seem to affect it, freezes just as quick in guildhall as PoK.

Only EQ freezes, you can still alt tab out (between freezes), and check websites. The computer itself shows no problems (harddrive light doesn't flash).

Windows XP firewall and firewall server are both disabled. There's no firewall or virus protection installed on the machine.

Called the computer shop, and the heatsinc was installed using the paste that came with it.

Once idea the guy (at the computer shop) tossed at me was it possible for the processor thermal throttling to cause the freezing? He said I had a good cooling system, so it didn't seem likely but could that be possible?
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Honestly, if you've tried fixes that worked for other people and it didn't work for you, I find that in 95 pct of the cases, sending the comp back and getting a new in return = fix. I dunno if you all have that kinda service where you are. That way you'll also likely be able to remove the "It's a unique problem" off the list.
Aamasie

Post by Aamasie »

Custom made computer = no return.