Perth 'dangerous', says DFAT

Moderator: Officers

Angelsheart

Post by Angelsheart »

May 12, 2005
THE Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has apologised for a rogue piece of travel advice that warned email subscribers Perth was "dangerous at this time of year".

The one line message reading "This is a message to let you know that Perth is dangerous at this time of year. xxx." appeared in email boxes around the country last night.
This morning, DFAT's webmaster Alan Walsh sent a follow-up email apologising to subscribers and explaining the email was a test communication mistakenly sent by an external contractor testing a new email system.

Advertisement:
"We have taken action to ensure that this cannot happen again," Mr Walsh said in his message.

"Our apologies for any confusion."

A spokeswoman for DFAT said it had initially been thought the message was the work of a spam hoaxer.

"It was obviously a joke, because of the kisses on the bottom, which was a nice touch," she said.

"It was all a bit silly really."

The email service is intended to warn Australian travellers about security and cultural conditions in other countries.

Mr Walsh also reassured subscribers the privacy of their email addresses had not been compromised.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Hehehehe Perth IS dangerous this time of year. Just go for a drive in the rain - none of them know what to do O.0
Angelsheart

Post by Angelsheart »

Then theres of course Mazia with his empty alcohol bottle :lol:
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

I keep telling you that there was more than one bottle. And I am not in Perth anyways I am in a much better place called Mandurah. Just ask me
kroe

Post by kroe »

Pfft, Mandurah is a damn hippy resort, would much rather live in the hills, or in the north where I am :P
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Hills? Whos the hippy now?
kroe

Post by kroe »

Bah, I was born/bred and lived 90% of my life in Perth's northern suburbs, maybe liking the hills makes me a wannabe hippy.

My inlaws live in Bindoon, and I love going up there, brings back all those memories of my younger days at 3 day rock concerts with Chrissie Amphlet flashing the crowd on every set. Ahh the good ole days.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

O.0
Tiressa

Post by Tiressa »

In the rain? hmm do you not have fun ice storms down there? There's nothing funnier than watching a bunch of paranoid southerners trying to get to wal-mart (cause that's the only thing in the city that stays open in an ice storm...) spinning around in intersections and running off the road. Thankfully it doesn't happen often.. I wanna move down to florida where I can lay on the beach and not worry about cold stuff falling from the sky.. Got a spare room Victom?

~T~
Turook

Post by Turook »

What bottle Maz?
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

It shall ever remain a mystery
Turook

Post by Turook »

Not if you tell me. :) /wanders off to interogate Ky
He usually knows the scuttlebut, comes from having his nose so close to the shit all the time :)
TadeshaN

Post by TadeshaN »

Hey we live in the hills and we aren't hippies... at least last time I checked I wasn't.

Hate to say it Maz but Mandurah is just another burb these days.

Tade :D
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

/grins yeh I guess - fair way our but - will consider it a suburb when the train goes in for now its its own city :P
TadeshaN

Post by TadeshaN »

Does that mean we are a city on our own... well at least a small hamlet perhaps. We have no train and I don't see one coming any time soon. *grin*