Moderator: Officers

Olharb

Patch Message ( 5/11)

Post by Olharb »

EverQuest - Live Update - 05/11/05
----------------------------------

*** Headlines ***
- Many quests in city zones that give XP as a reward now give significantly more.
- Four new missions are available that take you back to Qeynos, Unrest, Befallen, and Hate's Fury.
- Veteran's Rewards will be available on May 13th. You can find out more details about these rewards at http://eqlive.station.sony.com/lowsrc/n ... tory=50003.
- The required levels on many spells level 50 and below have been changed so that all casting classes will now receive at least 1 new spell every level.
- Great new functionality has been added to the mail system. Some of the major features are listed below, but also check the bottom of the patch message for details.
- Multiple recipients, including a dynamically generated guild mailing list.
- EverQuest mail forwarding. You can now have your EverQuest mail forwarded to the e-mail address registered with the station account of the character you are playing. NOTE: you cannot reply to the forwarded mail.
- New Address Book. You can now setup mailing lists on your client and store your friend's addresses in your address book.

*** Spells & Skills ***
- Players who only have the first two ranks of the Spell Casting Fury AAs will now do double damage on a successful spell crit, the same as if they had the third rank.
- Players who only have the first two ranks of the Ingenuity AA will now do double damage on a successful spell crit, the same as if they had the third rank.
- DoT spells for nearly all classes have been adjusted to scale better as players gain levels. Additionally, most of these spells have had their casting time significantly reduced. A number of additional changes have been made. Please see in game descriptions for updated information.
- Pet heals are now generally more efficient, have shorter cast times, and will remove poison and curse effects in addition to disease effects.
- Frost Guard now has a 1 hour duration.
- Rangers now gain the ability to triple attack starting at level 60.
- Berserker's Frenzy skill now has a minimum damage cap starting at level 51.
- The return on AC over the cap has been increased for monks, paladin, and shadowknights of level 50 and higher.
- Based on player feedback, we have removed the notification to the caster that occurred whenever a heal-over-time spell made an exceptional heal and added new functionality to let the caster know when their spell has worn off.
- All caster, priest, and hybrid classes now learn Meditation at level 1.
- All priest and hybrid classes now learn Channeling at level 1.
- All detrimental spells that have a duration will now notify their caster when they wear off.
- All hybrid classes now learn Abjuration, Alteration, Conjuration, Divination, and Evocation at level 1.
- All buffs that last at least 24 seconds and do not go to the short buff window will now notify their caster when they wear off.
- Share Wolf Form will no longer have its buff timer decremented in the Guild Hall.
- Shield of Notes and Dance of Blades will now properly reset if they fail to take hold.
- Lich Sting and Reaper Strike now grant a buff to the group as well as the Shadow Knight triggering the effect. The benefit for the Shadow Knight will be significantly larger then the benefit to the rest of the group.
- Kessadona's Flash of Insight is now known as Kessadona's Roar and has been changed to be a direct damage cold based spell.

*** Items ***
- Seal: Mastery of All is now no-drop on the Firiona Vie server.
- A Gem-Etched Key was dropping off of common crocodiles in Plane of Earth. This erroneous drop has been removed.
- The Rod of Shaded Wrath has been slightly upgraded.
- Many items with over 165 hps were given type 8 slots instead of type 7 slots.
- The Tainted Heartstone and Charm of Exotic Speech will now properly give full stats when all uncommon languages are mastered.
- All flowers of functionality are now inventory clickable.
- All armor and weaponry on the Dragons of Norrath vendors now have an additional type 9 augmentation slot.
- New type 9 augments can now be found on the Dragons of Norrath vendors.
- Some additional weapons on the Dragons of Norrath vendors are now rogue usable.
- Blightbringer’s Pants of the Grave now has the focus effect Venom of Anguish.
- Improved the damage/delay ratio of some of the weapons on the Dragons of Norrath vendors.
- Beaded Hoop of Demise now has +10 combat effects and +5 strikethrough.
- Chains of Anguish now has the focus effect Avariciousness of the Ikaav.
- Shroud of the Surging Storm now has the focus effect Avariciousness of the Ikaav.
- Ring of Deterrence now has the focus effect Avariciousness of the Ikaav.

*** Quests & Events ***
- When Brevik Kalaner combines the high temple pieces to form the Cipher of Txevu, the player will now also receive Qvic access if they do not already have it.
- When zoning into Kod`taz, if a player has the Inktu`ta high temple piece as well as Qvic access, they will now receive any other high temple pieces they may be missing.
- Removed the large particle effects from King Gelaqua’s room in Riftseekers. This should help with reported visual lag issues in that area.
- Fixed a spawn issue in Firiona Vie involving Hero Goxnok and a Drachnid spy.
- Guttertusk the Cruel has been spotted wandering the city of Dranik.
- Raids in Gates of Discord dynamic zones now require a minimum of 12 people to start.
- Corrected a problem that was causing the Kunark dragons to not drop their spells or, in the case of Trakanon, his teeth.
- Vyril Nightfire in Mistmoore is seeking adventurers to help destroy the new inhabitants of the castle.

*** Tradeskills ***
- Added a new alchemy recipe to create Essence of Froglok. It can be made in much the same way as the other essences.

*** Missions ***
- We have made improvements to how mission rewards are given in situations where the mission was completed while a member was zoning, charmed, feared, or dead.
- Your mission token or any item you receive at the completion of your mission will now automatically go into an open slot in your inventory. You will not see it on your cursor anymore. If your inventory is full then the token or item will be attached to your cursor the next time you zone.
- Savil Tranquilsong has made an important breakthrough in his work uncovering the history of Unrest and is looking for adventurers around levels 55 to 70 to assist him. Seek him out in the Butcherblock Mountains if you are interested in helping.
- Rumors have been circulating of increased activity around Hate's Fury and a growing discontent among the merchants of the Broken Skull Clan. A merchant in the Crypt of Nadox is looking to hire a few hearty souls around levels 55 to 70 to help keep the Clan in check.
- Guard Freklin in Qeynos Hills has gotten himself into hot water after being caught sleeping on the job and is now stuck on gnoll watch. He is looking for adventurers around levels 15 to 35 to help him get back into the good graces of the guard.
- The ancient necromancer Marnek Jaull has returned to the dark halls of Befallen and kidnapped the daughter of a paladin of Prexus for use in his evil rituals. Derin Mausrel, uncle of the kidnapped girl, has traveled to West Commons in search of adventurers around levels 30 to 40 to help him rescue his niece and destroy the necromancer once and for all.

*** User Interface ***
- There is a completely new interface for the chat filter.
- The Bandolier "auto swap" will now maintain its state through relog.
- There is a new Merchant Interface window. Items are now displayed in more intuitive list.

*** Miscellaneous ***
- Added Label EQType 134 - Currently Casting spell. Added it to Casting window.
- Bug fix for entering the game by walking through the arch in explorer mode of character selection. If you were logged out in an instanced zone, you will not see multiple of each character if that zone was not up.
- For servers that have movelog command enabled, players will now see what servers have their current name in use already.
- We have changed the text description of certain flags on the item inspection window. NO DROP is now NO TRADE and NO RENT is now TEMPORARY.
- Names above players/NPCs should now be visible at twice the distance they were before.

*** E-Mail Features ***

- Audio and text notifications of new mail.

Mail Window

- New Options and Address Book buttons.
- The Options button brings up the options window (with the Mail tab selected).
- The Address Book button brings up the address book window.
- New "Reply All" button.
- New "TO" field visible in the view pane (where you read your email). It shows all recipients, except those that are BCC.

Mail Composition Window

- New "From" field that shows you who you are when sending an email.(Useful now that you can quickly switch between the mailboxes of your different characters on the current server).
- You can now send to multiple recipients at once, by separating them with comas. You can also use an address book entry name.
- When pressing "Reply All" from the Mail Window, the lists found to match exactly (both name and addresses) with an entry in your address book are compacted to the name only, other entries are written in full.
- The Sync button is there to synchronize your TO field with your address book. This is mainly useful when replying to all: it helps you add new entries to your address book or update old ones. In the latter case, you will be notified of the differences: name differs by case, addresses removed, addresses added. The note field is preserved during the update.

Address Book Window

- New window to edit your address book.
- Fields for name, addresses and note.
- Checkbox to make the entry name private, which means that during address expansion, the addresses will be written as if you had selected them individually, not in the mailing list format.
- Automatic update of the "Guild" entry. [Transient (not saved) and read-only.] If you leave the guild, the entry disappears. If someone is added/removed from the guild, your address book is updated.

New Options Tab for the Mail System

- Address book filename, configurable per character.
- If you select an existing address book file, it loads it.
- If you select a new filename, it creates it with the current in-memory address book state.
- The address book can be edited by hand, or copied between installations.

Mail Forwarding Option.

- When turned on, incoming email is forwarded to the email address you registered in your Station Account.

Revised Command-Line Syntax for Sending Mail

- More than one recipient is now allowed. Use the comma to separate them.
- If you need a space, for an example if you are sending to a mailing list that contains a space in its name, then you need to enclose the whole list of recipients between double-quotes.
- To make a recipient BCC, precede it with a -.
- Addresses written in the command-line are expanded according to the address book rules.

-- The EverQuest Team

------
Okay, I almost burst into tears of joy when I hit this:
- Rangers now gain the ability to triple attack starting at level 60.
It finally happened. Haven't even read the rest. It doesn't matter.
"There's no preparation and no guide, just what you've done before here with your life." -BR
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

Triple attack for Rangers :)

/autofire goes on hold Mazia :lol:

Just need to fire 2 arrows at a time now to balance things up :P
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Hmmm...they seem to have forgotten "Give warriors and paladins a reasonable amount of melee damage"....guess I'll keep /feedback-ing 8)
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

And the 'unnerf wizards' thing kinda didn't get attention either.
Kofn
Site Admin

Post by Kofn »

Just when Jim was starting to parse in ranger territory SOE does this to me.

Ah well he's focusing on triple backstab AAs now, will see how that stacks up to triple attacks :wink:
Olharb

Post by Olharb »

The calls for OMFGNERFTEHRAGNERS!!1! are already going out and servers aren't even up. If oddball rogues, beasts, and monks are giving us that look before anyone's logged in, clearly the dps increase is going to be impressive.. /cough

Merge all the classes and their abilities so we can end the comparisons, letting us get back to attacking the real enemy: The board mods at eqlive.
"There's no preparation and no guide, just what you've done before here with your life." -BR
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Mental: The rangers consistently sit at top of DPS on our raids. Solution: More DPS
Mental: OMG! Monks are tanking Quarm! Nerf their mitigation! Oh nm give it them back, Hmm Monks tanking Quarm? Give em more AC!

Happy for you guys, just cannot for the life of me see the reason why they did it.

I don't think they know what they are doing anymore
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

I don't care, I'm so totally happy about this patch. I get to med at Level 1 and I learn channeling at Level 1. Woot me!
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Olharb

Post by Olharb »

We're at the top of those parses because we're short on rogue mains and monks are pulling. Get either with max offensive aa's, equal weapons, and they'll soundly beat a ranger. Melee is safely ahead of bow for me, but for 2 minutes out of 67, archery blows it out of the water by a couple hundred dps. Those 2 minutes are during boss mobs.. the kind that are parsed. If you look at the logs from the final 2 p3 mobs, you'll notice the top rangers there had ts running, thus the 2k+ crits. So basically, the other 65 minutes ( or 3 hours between when ts is called in again) we're sitting close to 250dps with bow.

But of course triple attack only effects mainhand melee so all info in those parses is unrelated. The difference between what it was and what it is with triple attack? About 5-10% or thereabouts, will see what the actual number comes out to from more dedicated people. So now with melee I can do 25dps more. The reduction in nuke cast times was a bigger increase, but yet melees didn't care about it and the rest of the classes were reaping the rewards. But TRIPLE attack?! That's 50% more than double! Except triple attack only has a chance to fire on a successful double attack, so do a /ran 2 three times, if you get 3x 2's in a row, there's your triple attack landing for mitigated damage!

Takes effect at 60, which is the point in the game when archery took over for most post-luclin by a large amount. They want us to be dual-weilding melee's but there will be rioting in the streets if archery gets reduced. Thus why new arrows aren't groundbreaking and the Feratha bow is barely 10% better than the tradable ele's years later. This change looks great in text, and it's something the class has been chasing for a long time. It's a welcome change but is far from game shattering. Groups will still take a 500dps rogue over a 320dps ranger unless they're hard up for snare.
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Thats interesting shiz Olly, yeah I can guess TS does unbalance those parses. So monks do more dmg than rangers and tank better than anyone but warriors?

Time to get my ranger to 60 then =)
varutia

Post by varutia »

Bah, time to level my ranger from 42 to 60, will need to see how the new ac change affect knights, may be interesting, I want melee dps upgrade as well now :)
zappity

Post by zappity »

no manaburn what a suprise
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Paladins never were ment to be DPS machines. In fact nearly all tanks arnt. Pallies get slow hard hitting 2 handers these days to avoid reposit. And they have pretty reasonable healing.

Mitigation is what they were lacking but I thought that was a lot more reasonable these days. Ahh well more mitigation is gud.

Wheres the Mage mana burn, Monster pet upgrade, Mage root, Mage DA, errr actually who cares better pet heals are good - now I can solo more like a Necro - if they would only give me an upgrade to my over time pet heal now....
varutia

Post by varutia »

DPS never hurt, Paladins are reasonably balanced in defence part of things but absolutly horrible at dps. Healing is not too bad now compare to 2 years ago. Whack away at the mob and feel I actually made a difference would be welcoming. There is no logical reason for the weapon, offense and double attack skill to be kept so low anymore.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Must admit tripple attack would be good.
varutia

Post by varutia »

Hybrid classes are combined package, paladins especially need balance between defense, offense and healing. This also compounds the gear choice we make, more FT? more ac? more hp? more defence mod? more mod? more atk? This is compound by the choice of AA, defence? healing? offence? lots of choice here. Thus people playing Paladin usually end up with wildly different AA and gear selection.

Personally I am more of a well rounded approach to the things with forcus on defensive. I try to maximize the other aspects while not making a big dent on the defensive part of things.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

First and formost a tank in my book - never going to get a group as anything but a tank so better be a decent one is my theory. Second to that pallies seem strongest in a group healing siduation so mana / healing AA

After that DPS etc it would seem.

Somewhere in that comes the reposit AA line prolly 1/2 way from defensive to DPS in importance. Still dont have any of them myself but seems would help with regards tanking. Hrrm mebe I should take my own advice.

Raiding Paladins also have some toys like RC and Healing AA. In fact RC seems to be another one of those must haves for raiding. 3 6 9 sux though
varutia

Post by varutia »

It's all a trade off, would you trade 2 mana regen for 20 AC? would you trade a good spell haste forcus for 30 AC? Some would some would not. It's all about choice and more choice, it's never that simple. Paladins are formost a tank, offense and healing also makes an integral part of what we are. There is more than one way to be a good paladin, you can be successful in multiple fashion which in itself is the beauty of it.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Epic is a primary example of what a pally is. 35% heal focus to level 70, 55ac item, slow hitter avoids reposits. Epic clicky that improves healing to themselves and agro through increased procs.

Would I replace a 20AC augment with a 2 mana regen one? No way. Would I stick a 3mana regen aug in a slot there is only a 10ac aug that will fit in it? You bet. Preference would be items with the effect though. Not something that requires an aug.

Redemption is an unreplacable item as far as I am concerned. When on a raid even if I had a better DPS weapon I would wear redemption.

Now while I wouldnt ever replace a 20AC aug for anything (except perhaps a 90hp+ aug) I would go out of my way for a mana preservation effect to level 70 - to a point where I might replace a lesser AC augment. Then again if things came to it - I would stick a preservation aug in redemption for raiding

Pallies arnt DPS - tanks yes and more mitigation to ya.
varutia

Post by varutia »

Here comes the crux of the problem, mitagation does not stack on raid where dps stack does. Majority of the situation you don't need more than a few tanks on raids. That being said, tanking is still my primary concern at this stage, offense and healing take a backstage, but I do take them into consideration when planning gear ugprade and AA path.
Mynxi

Post by Mynxi »

I like to have paladin in group even if they are not the main tank. When going someplace that takes a long time to fight to get into I like to take a 2nd rezer. Or when there is going to be alot of CC and paladin can help to get control of mobs.
Mynxi
varutia

Post by varutia »

/nod /nod, we are multi talented and I like to tank like a warrior, dps like a rogue and heal like a cleric :P
Kofn
Site Admin

Post by Kofn »

/nod /nod, we are multi talented and I like to tank like a warrior, dps like a rogue and heal like a cleric
I'm sorry but that job is taken by druids, get off our turf plzkthx!
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Speaking as a non-tank with all the mitigation/avoidance of a druid... nm, not that much. All I want from a tank is:

Don't die plzkthx

Thats it, really, thats enuff
Tentrix

Post by Tentrix »

I dont know what happened in that patch but my level 64 Cleric cast virtue and go this message

You have got better at channeling (1)

Now I knew she was behind the eight ball, didnt realise it was that bad though :wink:
"The artist formally known as TENTRIX"