Mobile phones

Moderator: Officers

Marakesh

Mobile phones

Post by Marakesh »

I remember catching a conversation in /gu with Miru the other day about her mobile phone and was sent this today:

There are a few things that can be done with your mobile in times of grave emergencies.
Check out the things that you can do with it: -

((1))

EMERGENCY
The Emergency Number worldwide for **Mobile** is 112
If you find yourself out of coverage area of your mobile network and there is an emergency,
dial 112
and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you,
and interestingly this number 112 can be dialled even if the keypad is locked.
**Try it out.**

((2))
Have you locked your keys in the car? Does you car have remote keys?

This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone:
If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call
someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone.
Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock.
Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away,
and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

((3))
Hidden battery power
Imagine your cell battery is very low , you are expecting an important call and you don't have a charger.
Nokia instrument comes with a reserve battery.
To activate, press the keys
*3370#
Your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a50%increase in battery.
This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time AND...

((4))
How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone:
* # 0 6 #
A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. when your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless.
You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either.

((5))

Be care while using your mobile phone
When you try to call someone through mobile phone,don't put your mobile closer to your ears until the recipient answers. Because directly after dialling, the mobile phone would use it's maximum signalling power, which is: 2 watts = 33dbi, Plz Be Careful, Message as received (Save your brain) Please use left ear while using cell (mobile), because if you use the right one it will affect brain directly.. This is a true fact from Apollo medical team.
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

Pretty sure 2 is BS is most car's do not work off sound but a wireless freq
This is a true fact from Apollo medical team.
I question this to.....
Aedryen -The Everdying Druid
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Retired: Fladora, Healior
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

It says it's a true fact :wink:

No idea if any of it's true - I rarely take my mobile out and don't have a car to test it on. I'm sure someone will test it hehe
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

I know someone freakish enough to run out and test that the moment he hears about it... having installed the remote key thing himself and being immensely proud of all the shit it can do... like work a mile away and notify him if someone tampers with the car :p

He's an acoustic engineer though, so he might just laugh at me! Which brings me to:
Pretty sure 2 is BS is most car's do not work off sound but a wireless freq
You're usually wired up when speaking sound?

Suppose it depends on what kinda frequency range the mobile phone can pick up... does seem unlikely that it extends all the way up to the MHz range...what with humans only being able to hear 10kHz or something? The myth might have started by some fluke accident where an incoming/outgoing call to a cellphone triggered a carlock? It's all run around the same frequencies, I suppose. Depending on where you are in the world, of course /shakes fist at his cellphone never working outside Europe
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Creac

Post by Creac »

One things to say - in regard to the bit about 112 for emergencies - that's correct. But the bit where they say "try it out" - erm, DO NOT - the last thing an emergency operator needs is some git calling to say "oh, I was just testing my mobile, wow, it works, isn't this cool, hey <click>".

It's very cool that they promote the 112 so people know, it's highly irresponsible to suggest people should test it.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Creac wrote:One things to say - in regard to the bit about 112 for emergencies - that's correct. But the bit where they say "try it out" - erm, DO NOT - the last thing an emergency operator needs is some git calling to say "oh, I was just testing my mobile, wow, it works, isn't this cool, hey <click>".

It's very cool that they promote the 112 so people know, it's highly irresponsible to suggest people should test it.
It was in reference to trying it out with the keylock on, I believe... which indeed also works... without you having to dial the actual number :p
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

The one about the mobile phone being used to unlock your car was discussed in depth on 2BL a few weeks back. Several people claimed it would work and several others claimed it wouldn't. Around 10 people then rang back to say they had tried it out on their car and it worked.

Now, I'm not saying its true, because these 10 people could have been bullshitting or have failed in their setting up the experiment (ie the signalling device was still in range of their car and that opened the car and not the mobile). However, its probably an interesting experiment to get someone at home to try it out when you are up at the local shopping centre carpark or something.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.