Win XP question

Moderator: Officers

Vexo

Win XP question

Post by Vexo »

Anyone know how to remove the need to log in, when XP starts up? I had escaped it when I installed, but then suddenly, one day, out of the blue, it started requesting me to hit the icon to log in.

I've done a cleaner thingy to remove left over Windows thingies and made sure I only have one account on the computer. So... I'm missing Win2k. Wtf ever happened to "Log in automatically?"?
Last edited by Vexo on Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

You've been Microsoftened ;)
There are no atheists in a hen house.

Creac

Post by Creac »

Logging in automatically is a really bad thing froma security point of view because your password is stored in plain text - that's why there's no easy option for it.

However, there is a Powertoy (just google it) from Microsoft that let's you change a heap of things easily that would normally need you going into the registry. One of them is logging in automatically.

Anyway, if you google Powertoys you should find the one that lets you change system settings.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Creac wrote:Logging in automatically is a really bad thing froma security point of view because your password is stored in plain text - that's why there's no easy option for it.
See, I could see the smartness in that, BUT... I don't have to state my password (seeing as there is non). So it's just plain stupid, that it doesn't log directly in (especially since there's no other users either). Thanks for the tip though, will try and use that.
Creac

Post by Creac »

I guess they're trying to tell you - USE A PASSWORD.

:-)

Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Creac wrote:I guess they're trying to tell you - USE A PASSWORD.

Being in the intermediate group between "Long thing is the Enter-button, right?" and "Linux user", I prefer not being told or have to abide by anything, unless it is relevant to -me-.
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Hey vexo I took off all your gear and ether flamed you to death. Just fyi

Thyrx

Post by Thyrx »

Being in the intermediate group between "Long thing is the Enter-button, right?" and "Linux user", I prefer not being told or have to abide by anything, unless it is relevant to -me-.
crap and all this time i was thinking it was the space bar. that explains alot
Creac

Post by Creac »

It IS relevant to you, Vexo. Your computer security is your responsibility and problem.

Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Creac wrote:It IS relevant to you, Vexo. Your computer security is your responsibility and problem.
Don't be silly. It's not only my computer, but it's also guarded against online outsiders quite well. If someone breaks into my home to use my computer, well, that's another thing. If it had been a shared computer, that would have been another thing. If it had been in an office-space, eventhough private, that would be another thing. My computer, my house? My rules for how I turn it on:P
Kofn
Site Admin

Post by Kofn »

Sure it's your rules, all you gotta do is write the software. Using someone else's software, you play by their rules :roll:
Creac

Post by Creac »

And if you were not connected to the largest network in the world, sure...

Vexo

Post by Vexo »

I'm not saying stuff shouldn't be secure. I'm saying, that in the privacy of ones own home, requiring log in security just to turn Windows on is silly. I'm all for built in firewalls etc. etc..
Creac

Post by Creac »

You don't NEED a log in, but it's the default expectation becaues it's the most secure scenario. Far better to have the default the more secure option than to (as in the past) have the default as the unsecure option.

We really don't need more computers being hijacked to send yet more spam etc.

Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Dude...we're not on the same page here. If they're gonna hijack me, it's gonna be because they were able to bypass my firewall and be ignored by my spyware/anti-vira software... it's not gonna be because they didn't have to hit enter after they turned my computer on.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Well then cacheing your password which was built into the system for people like you is the answer - its just as unsecure as not having a password /shrugs you have been catered for.

Now if the complaint is your a noob and dont know how to search for the reg entry and put it in or download the readily available power widget then thats another story.

People that whine about things that are under their own control are funny
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Edit: Nevermind ;)

Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Mazia wrote:Well then cacheing your password which was built into the system for people like you is the answer - its just as unsecure as not having a password /shrugs you have been catered for.

Now if the complaint is your a noob and dont know how to search for the reg entry and put it in or download the readily available power widget then thats another story.

People that whine about things that are under their own control are funny
I've searched for the box to click, that says 'Log in automatically'. I remained convinced, that I had merely failed at finding it, not that MS would be stupid enough to not include it directly : ) My n00bness is admitted.
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

I have no idea what you people are talking about.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

5 second google search returns....

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm

and

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

the complication of it astounds me

Mic - Vexo wants the machine to just go to the desktop every time he starts his machine instead of a standard logon box.
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Maz... get over yourself. If I hadn't been convinced, that there was a way to do it, without messing with reg-files, I would have never asked here. Also, the requirements:
- The Welcome screen must be available
- Guest account access must be turned off
- There must be only one user account on the computer
- The user account must not have a password
...indicates that I'm bugged, as mentioned in original post. Bug probably lying in the fact that:
Also, if no DefaultPassword string is specified, Windows automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogon key
from 1 (true) to 0 (false), thus disabling the AutoAdminLogon feature.
Which it probably did when I messed up in the first place. So, seems I won't get outta toying with reg-files. Sad day.
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Vexo wrote:Maz... get over yourself.
Quoted for truth. Quit being an arrogant ass maz :D

Oh and vexo, you ARE a noob. Even I knew how to do that ;)

Mazia

Post by Mazia »

I am right therefore I am arrogant - and I also dont give a rats ass what anyone thinks. :)

As you were
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

haha, go fuck yourself :)

Micahle

Post by Micahle »

+1!