Australia Soccor to the World cup!

Moderator: Officers

Angelsheart

Australia Soccor to the World cup!

Post by Angelsheart »

:orclol: :orclol: :orclol:
Last edited by Angelsheart on Wed 16 Nov, 2005 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angelsheart

Post by Angelsheart »

shootout win 4-2
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Grats guys, all the best =)

Mebbe get a bit of soccer appreciation goin over there!

MeloxXx
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

That's highly unlikely Melo. Don't think anyone has much more than a passing interest in it. Only time soccer gets a mention is when they win a game against someone. Its a very poor 4th place after football ie. Rugby League and Rugby Union and Australian Rules. Sure, a few primary school kids play it but then they graduate to one of the other 3 games.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Fulrach

Post by Fulrach »

WOOT!!! was a great game to the end. When Viduka missed was like OMFG but Mark Schwarzer for the win. :orcgrin:
Fulrach

Post by Fulrach »

Hehe yeah Miruwin us Aussies are humble to earn our measly 200K in those codes and not chase the big international $$.

Cricket for the WIN!!!
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Miru, wait to see what a World Cup can do... U might be surprised!

MeloxXx
Angelsheart

Post by Angelsheart »

it should give soccer a boost
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

fken soccar
Angelsheart

Post by Angelsheart »

will be front page news so lots of coverage for few days
Fourfists

Post by Fourfists »

what is soccer?
[70 Stone Fist (Monk)] Fourfists (Human)
[70 Naturegaurd (Druid)] Neeil (Halfling)
[70 Baby Mage] Tinktink Tinktink (Gnome)
Tentrix

Post by Tentrix »

Miruwin wrote:That's highly unlikely Melo. Don't think anyone has much more than a passing interest in it. Only time soccer gets a mention is when they win a game against someone. Its a very poor 4th place after football ie. Rugby League and Rugby Union and Australian Rules. Sure, a few primary school kids play it but then they graduate to one of the other 3 games.
This isnt always the case Mir, I love soccer, and have no interest in any other form football, it is a personal preference.
"The artist formally known as TENTRIX"
Aamasie

Post by Aamasie »

Soccer is one of the few sports I love watching.
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

Fourfists wrote:what is soccer?
Soccer? Shoot-out? :roll:

Football and penalties!!!!

When will you foreigners stop corrupting our language and sport hehe

Scotland refuse to qualify for any competition till this happens!
Kofn
Site Admin

Post by Kofn »

lol Mara!

Miru this might be the wrong forum, but here's a question for you, which sport has the highest participation in Australia?

Go Aussies! Been a long time between drinks...
Angelsheart

Post by Angelsheart »

tennis
Kysumu

Post by Kysumu »

Fkn Weo beat me to it .. /shakes fist
Kysumu
Warriar

Post by Warriar »

Elbow bending at the pub? Drinking is a nationally recognised part of Sport
Angelsheart

Post by Angelsheart »

Actor John Travolta added football fan to his list of credentials by joining the sea of green and gold at the stadium. Whether he knows anything of the code or not, at least he will be able to say: "I was there when the Socceroos made history."
oooo american defector :)
varutia

Post by varutia »

Stuff the Ruby and go Soccer or rather Football as it should be called :orcgrin:

Go the Aussies :drink:
curtis

Post by curtis »

Soccer is where it deserves to be, a distant 4th amongst the sport going public. It will never change while the sport condones and infact promotes primadonas and drama queens. I do not watch sport to see some pansy fall the ground and clutch his head when he got a bump in the arm.

Coincidentally I have finally stopped watching Australian rules for exactly the same reason. My exact phrase to my disbelieving friends was "It's becoming like soccer"
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

/hugs curtis - my hero

But then again he probably watches some other sport so /pah
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

Football (soccer) is one of the only sports i like playing and can stand to watch :p I blame my Dad, he's a pom :p
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

As a field hockey player, I used to watch a bit of English soccer way back. My husband was from Liverpool UK and he was a supporter of that team, whereas his brother was an Everton supporter. I was watching it mainly because it had very similar rules to field hockey and similar positional play. At this time I was playing at rep level and due to the lack of any hockey matches being televised, I found soccer to be a reasonable substitute. I totally lost interest in it when all I saw on TV during televised matches was hooliganism, overacting and really second rate abilities compared to my chosen sport.

Over a couple of decades, and having watched a few televised games, I have found the skill level to have dropped even further and the overacting from 90% of the player to be worthy of an academy award.

Out of curiosity, I emailled NSW Soccer to see what sort of a playr base they had. See below:

AGE - Number of Registered Players

6 - 16,268
7 - 14,073
8 - 13,686
9 - 12,584
10 - 12,626
11 - 10,623
12 - 11,743
13 - 8,467
14 - 10,268
15 - 6,684
16 - 8,448
17 - 2,415
18 - 4,881
19 - 1,429
20/21 - 2,481
over 22 47,619

Overall, age group participation has increased only slightly with by far the biggest increase being in the 18 and 19 years age group and all other age groups declining. It is interesting to note that by far the highest percentage of players are in the primary school age and drop away to almost nothing once the participants leave school. Therefore, primary school age kids make up 50% of the player base, high school age make up 24% and young adults 1%, all others up to and including the over 35 age group 25%. Bear in mind that this is combined male/female player base.

As an interesting comparison Soccer in NSW has 184,295 players, Netball, which is a female only sport (yes I know there are a couple of male teams but they do not play genuine competition games) had 106,170 and the distribution base is minimal in primary school with a peak number in the mid to late teens and 20's.

Now, another thing. I believe soccer would be more popular in NSW than any other state so therefore I don't believe that Australia wide the figures would be as comparatively high. I am still awaiting a response from Soccer Australia as a comparison.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Lol Miru, nice work eheh. go gettem =)

MeloxXx