Do Americans frustrate you?

Moderator: Officers

curtis

Do Americans frustrate you?

Post by curtis »

Here is the salve for your ire. This reminds me that Americans can be great! Remember, they are not all bad, some truly shine.

<embed src='http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms: ... com:251763' width='360' height='301' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' wmode='window' allowFullscreen='true' flashvars='autoPlay=false' allowscriptaccess='always' allownetworking='all' bgcolor='#000000'></embed>
Mynks

Post by Mynks »

LOL. Yeah Jon Stewart is awsome, deffinatly worth watching :D
Mynks BeenieBabyofDeath
Some nomes never die, they just become deaths playthings.
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

watched video. still hate americans. <3 stewart though
There are no atheists in a hen house.

sazxus

Post by sazxus »

Stewart Is Awesome. I love Colbert too.

Oh and FU USA haters I'll have to leave it there. . .
Tenam

Post by Tenam »

"Do Americans frustrate you?"
Holy generalizations, Batman!
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Sanar wrote:"Do Americans frustrate you?"
What? Why can't a people frustrate? Doesn't state that every single American is frustrating.
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Vexo wrote:
What? Why can't a people frustrate? Doesn't state that every single American is frustrating.
Because it's a meaningless statement, technically. The differences between two random individuals are so insanely huge by themselves, far bigger than the difference between two different cultures, that a statement like "all Americans are x" or "americans are frustrating" is simply pointless.

Let's not forget that the United States has a) 300 million citizens, and b) the most socially, economically, and culturally diverse population in the entire world. Funny story: I can walk outside in my neighborhood and notice that about 60% of my neighbors are either first or second generation immigrants, most from China, Japan, or India. Somehow, I don't think they're the ones people talk about when they say "americans are frustrating." Most people refer to the prototypical loud, boistrous, arrogant, racist, fundamentalist, gun-loving, simple-minded clown. I don't like those people any more than you do, but they're hardly representative of the population as a whole.

I've met plenty of people from a wide variety of countries that I can relate closely to, and hundreds of Americans that I just can't understand at all. Why? Because everyone's different. Including Americans :p

Tenam

Post by Tenam »

I don't know... my wife gets upset when I talk about "Korean people blah blah blah" even if I'm like "But not you!" because it doesn't account for all the ones that don't. :P
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Golgolath wrote:
Vexo wrote:
Because it's a meaningless statement, technically. The differences between two random individuals are so insanely huge by themselves, far bigger than the difference between two different cultures, that a statement like "all Americans are x" or "americans are frustrating" is simply pointless.

Let's not forget that the United States has a) 300 million citizens, and b) the most socially, economically, and culturally diverse population in the entire world. Funny story: I can walk outside in my neighborhood and notice that about 60% of my neighbors are either first or second generation immigrants, most from China, Japan, or India. Somehow, I don't think they're the ones people talk about when they say "americans are frustrating." Most people refer to the prototypical loud, boistrous, arrogant, racist, fundamentalist, gun-loving, simple-minded clown. I don't like those people any more than you do, but they're hardly representative of the population as a whole.

I've met plenty of people from a wide variety of countries that I can relate closely to, and hundreds of Americans that I just can't understand at all. Why? Because everyone's different. Including Americans :p
It's a way of stating "stuff". You don't go "Holy fuck, those people should just eat shit and die... except that guy off to the right, who's not involved, the two people in the front who's only partly to blame and the twenty people who haven't seen what's going on... and maybe not the guy with the bat, because he could just be going to a ballgame".

Generalisations are only evil to the extent that the person speaking it and/or the person hearing it, does not understand that they can only ever be generalisations.

In which case, I'm sure they're American.
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

least we don't live in windmills :p

Tenam

Post by Tenam »

Yeah, Golgo. Do Europeans frustrate you?
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

only frenchies~