Are there any netbooks that can run EQ?

Moderator: Officers

Tenam

Are there any netbooks that can run EQ?

Post by Tenam »

The wife and I are going to be going to the U.S. from July 9th until August 6th. Currently I have a desktop, the wife uses an old laptop of mine, but with a Korean version of Windows Vista installed, whereas I used to have Windows XP Pro (English) installed on it. It's also rather large, and hard to justify bringing along.

I have heard of people running EQ on various netbooks, but with horrible problems trying to do anything beyond just leaving in a bazaar bot or something.

Does anyone know if there's a netbook (or cheap laptop) for $400 or less that can play EQ decently? Even just one account, old world models, /showspells off, and basically low low low settings for everything else?... something that would actually allow playing in a group or even soloing something level appropriate? Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

I figure any netbook would run it - probably not very well tho. Graphics cards in those little things arnt that great.
"Looks like Maz was right.. - Thoraf"
"Looks like Maz was right.. There can add me to your sig! - Kofn"
"*sigh* 'the maz is right' strikes again! - Zurt"
"Have you noticed that nobody who thinks 'Maz is right' still plays? - Melo"
"Now Melo doesn't play! Cursed! - Fny"
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

I have a business D630 (dell) and it runs it ok with graphics turned to low
Aedryen -The Everdying Druid
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Retired: Fladora, Healior
Falern

Post by Falern »

There's a few manufacturers playing around with the gap in price/performance between the netbooks and full notebook/laptop end. From memory they're being branded 'mini-notebooks' or similar - you might find one that does the job for only a little more than a netbook and does the job nicely.

Falern.
Olharb

Post by Olharb »

If you're willing to leave the realm of laptops, the Asus EEE Box makes for a decent desktop substitute in a tiny package at low cost. About the size of a paperback, screws onto the back of any lcd screen. Specs mean you'll be able to run an instance of EQ with everything set to low on a 19" display at a reasonable resolution. And it's cute!

About $300USD for Windows, $200USD for Linux preloaded. Supply the monitor of your choice. Am quite happy with it as a wireless tendril to my main array. The mouse sucks though.
"There's no preparation and no guide, just what you've done before here with your life." -BR