Melo's Meanderings on the Subject of Whiskey

Moderator: Officers

Melodionxxx

Melo's Meanderings on the Subject of Whiskey

Post by Melodionxxx »

Reposted for Creac:

JW of any label is junk for foreigners. It's duty free fodder and has just been efficiently marketed in Asia as a luxury whisky. That's my (probably overzealous) judgement. But I'm fussy about this crap =)

A quick guide to common whiskeys.

Age: In general, age is HUGELY important. The difference between a 10 year old Springbank and a 36 year old Springbank is massive (reflected in price too *cry*). In general 18 year should be your minimum if you are buying for quality.

Blend vs Single Malt: In my prejudiced opinion, blends are only needed to mask inferior quality. Steer clear of blends, if you are stuck without single malts, Chivas Regal does a fair job.

Origin: Basically if its not Scotland, you are on very dodgy ground. The Irish make some decent stuff, Bush Mills is generally regarded as pretty good (for an Irish whiskey that is)

How to drink whiskey: No really!
On the rocks: Nevah! Way to waste a decent dram
With mixer: *shudder*
With water: Actually, there is a case for adding a small drop of water to your whiskey.

When whiskey is manufactured, it is about 100% proof. This is how it was orignally sold (referred to as 'Cask Strength'). You would buy a bottle and then add water to taste. Whiskey manufacturers now pre-water it down to about 40% proof.

This amount was determined by an analysis of what the average watering down was. Now, it is possible to water a whiskey down more, but not possible to remove water. So what they do is bottle the whiskey slightly stronger than the average person likes.

Soooooo. Adding a small drop is reasonable, afficionados will claim that a tiny drop of water (like a teaspoonfull per measure) actually releases flavour, and is therefore a superior way of imbibing.

One other tip I would give is this: Drink it Fast, none of this sipping business! Take a deep breath then knock back the whole shot. Now slowly release that deep breath through your nose. The whiskey warmth will flood through your whole head in an orgy of whiskyness.

There are 3 main types of whiskey, the way I see it anway:

Good Ole' Whushky whiskie
Nothing fancy about this stuff, straight traditional methods.

The Glenlivet: This is the king of straight no fuss quaffing whisky. It is pure gold, a wery pleasurable unchallenging tipple.
Springbank: A Speyside whiskey, these tend to be pale and sharp, but a very old Springbank is pretty astounding.
Knockando: A simple gorgeous easy drinking whiskey, it is partially matured in sherry cask (see below) but I think it belongs in this section. You really need the 18 yr to get the value of this one.
Glen Morangie: Barely drinkable, but acceptable if no alternative.
Glenfiddich: Bleh, paint stripper... sharp, shallow and acid.

Islay Malts
These are made in a slightly different way. When the barley is 'malted' it is then smoked in peat smoke. It could be described as 'smoked whiskey'. It is a bit of an acquired taste, but for my money it is the peak of whiskey perfection. My faves are:

Talisker: Dreamy gorgeous lovely, sharper than most Islay
Laphroaig: (la-froyg) The most commonly available Islay malt, the baseline standard by which other Islays are judged. Lovely stuff.
Lagavulin: Dark, rich Islay. Gorgeous.
Oban: Cross between an Islay and a Speyside. A stunning smokey, rich whiskey.
Caol Ila: Hard to get but one of the finest Islays, can sometimes get it in a good duty free. Try to get it, it's worth the effort.

Sherry Cask Matured
These whiskies are matured in old sherry casks, giving them a sweet plummy overtone which is wery nice indeed. Makes an interesting contrast with Islay malts. I don't drink much of this stuff so not much info.

The Macallan: The baseline for sherry cask matured whiskies. An old one is a stunning rich, fruity experience.
Glenmorangie: These folks make limited edition sherry cask matured whiskeys, but imho The Macallan has a better balanced flavour. But still very nice if you dont mind paying the big bucks.

In my humble opinion a well stocked booze cupboard should have one of each of these groups.

I should get back to work =)

Melo
Axemee

Post by Axemee »

so you would recomend the Glenlivet then if i can find it here in Melbounre. Its dads 60th in Jan and i was looking at getting him a very expansive bottle for it.

Its stupid to argue with an Idiot.
They will just bring you down to their level.
and beat you with experiance!
Creac

Post by Creac »

Thanks, Melo, it's a great read. I must make the effort to catch up with you to enjoy some good whisky.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Denrel

Post by Denrel »

like the post, and there seems to be a few good toon name options there too. i drink it but not often enough to recognise the differences.
Garlin Steelcat<Wreckers>
Skella

Post by Skella »

The Balvinie..

an often overlooked yet affordable delicious drop.

https://www.thebalvenie.com/our-range/
Fnyanna

Post by Fnyanna »

The single most important thing is that you pronounce the "h" when you say it....
biliy

Post by biliy »

And after many shots of it, the single h becomes hhhhhhhhhhhh

:)
Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

leading to hhhhhhhAWAYYAFKNBAWBAGGGWWILLFUCKINHAVEYOUJIMMYSTITCHTHAT