200g Maris Piper per person
Dripping or other animal fat, to cook (enough to half-fill your pan when melted)
You'll need a cooking thermometer, or electric deep fat fryer for this recipe.
• Peel your potatoes and cut into chips – approximately 1cm for thick-cut chips, half that for thinner ones. Rinse well under cold water, then drain.
• Put the chips into a pan of cold, salted water, and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, and simmer until just soft to the point of a knife.
• Drain, pat dry and allow to cool, then put in the fridge until cold.
• Heat your fat to 120C, and add the chips. Don't overcrowd the pan. Blanch for about five minutes until cooked through but not coloured.
• Remove, drain, pat dry, and refrigerate.
• When you're ready to eat, heat the fat to 160C and add the chips. Cook until crisp and golden, then remove, drain, season and serve immediately.