Needed ! Decent Curry Recipe ... THANKS

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

tavrah

Needed ! Decent Curry Recipe ... THANKS

Post by tavrah »

HELP !! I need a decent curry recipe please, anyone happen to know one? Thanks.
The best thing I was ever told was ..." Gramma! I love you ... Forever !"
amadeas

Post by amadeas »

Pity biliy isn't around he might have had one or something for ya :!:
biliy

Post by biliy »

meh, one last sneaky peek before getting on mah plane.

Tav, i wrote this up before so just cut and pasted for ya. Also scroll down the this forum and you will find a few recipes for curries.

Enjoy...

MEAT/Chicken CURRY

Oil/ghee
Finely diced onions, slightly more than you might think (2-3 Onions)
1 Teaspoon/Inch Ginger #
1 Teaspoon Garlic#
1 level teaspoon Turmeric#
1 Tablespoon Coriander powder#
2 Heaped Teaspoon Paprika#
1 Heaped Teaspoon Cumin powder#
1 Pinch Mustard Powder#
Chilli powder + salt + pepper to taste#
4 Cardamom seeds* (prick them if pods)
4 cloves*
2 Cinnamon sticks*
Fresh (skin removed and diced) or Tinned tomatoes (1 tin per kg meat for dryer curry, 2 for more sauce then add little more than 1 in ALL above)
A little Tomato Paste*
Couple of Bay leaves*
Approx 1-2Lb (0.5 to 1kg meat)

Method:
1) Fry Onion till just browning in Ghee
2) Make a Paste from items marked # above, adding Fresh Chilli’s if you want. Best to do this in blender or pestle/mortar
3) Add Paste to Onion mix fry lightly to explode the spice
4) Add Meat and fry with high heat to sear the meat each side, can stir vigorously making sure it doesn’t stick.
5) Turn heat down adding tomatoes, stir in, then add items marked *
6) Simmer to meat is Tender, usually at least 2 hours I like best.

Tips:
1) Could Roast Onions instead of frying
2) If frying Onions use a little water to keep them from burning, but make sure to brown them well.
3) Don’t be scared of using too much oil/ghee you can always “skim” off the excess towards the end
4) Can add Whole Dried Chilli’s to really boost flavours
5) Better making dish too hot, can always add extra tomatoes, yoghurt, coconut cream depending on dish you are making
6) When you are starting the simmer process put the lid on the dish to keep juices in, the dish should be slightly too watery at this point, about 30 mins before serving remove lid and reduce hard to consistency you want as end dish. Better too watery to start with than too dry.
7) Keep stirring gently once every 15-20 mins to make sure it never sticks, unless you have an awesome pan.
If you are making larger amounts do not double the quantity of Cinnamon or Cloves. These are VERY strong aromatic substances, be careful with them. If double the KG meat I would add couple extra cloves and no more cinnamon, perhaps extra bay leave or two.

Its all about personal taste and palate, personally i like a damn_hot_curry.
tavrah

Post by tavrah »

Biliy I LOVE YOU Thanks :) and yes, I know am just lazy lately. Thanks very much.
The best thing I was ever told was ..." Gramma! I love you ... Forever !"
Bundie

Post by Bundie »

Thai Panang Curry

Paste mixture:

10 long dried chillies
1 teaspoon sea salt
4cm piece galangal (cut into matchstick size bits)
1 stalk lemongrass (cut into thin rounds)
3x coriander roots
1 teaspoon roasted coriander seeds
2 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds
4 garlic gloves
1 medium red onion
1 tablespoon roasted peanuts
1 tablespoon shrimp paste

Curry itself:
300ml coconut cream
70g palm sugar, shaved
3 tablespoons fish sauce
3 tablespoons of the above paste mixture
Assorted vegetables and meat

1. Soak chillies in water until soft, cut them open and remove the seeds if you do not like a hot curry (I love hot curry so they always stay in :twisted: ) chop the chillies very finely into 1-2mm pieces.

2. Roast the cumin, coriander seeds and peanuts in a pan over medium heat until fragrant. Remove from pan and Use a mortar & pestle to grind the seeds together until powdered, remove and set aside for later.

3. Wrap the fish paste in alfoil and place it in the pan and "cook" until fragrant. You will understand when you smell it :oops:

4. Using the mortar & pestle again, pound the chillies with the sea salt until a paste is formed, add the lemongrass, galangal, coriander roots, garlic, red onion and smash until it is of a paste consistency. Add the powdered seeds and continue to smash and bash into a paste. Lastly add the shrimp paste and continue to pound it.

Cooking the curry:

1. Heat pan on medium heat, then add 1/2 cup of coconut cream, add the paste and mix well. Keep adding the coconut cream bit by bit when it gets dry. Continue to stir so that the paste does not burn. You will probably notice alot of oils coming to the top, don't worry about it - this is normal.

2. Add the vegetables and meat, fish sauce and palm sugar and continue to stir.

Tips!

I always pre-cook the meat that I am using. Thai cooking is about 90% prep, 10% actual assembling and cooking the finished product.

Panang curry should generally be a dry and thick curry, not soupy like your typical red or green curries. However if you do like a soupy curry, you can add more coconut cream and plain water. However if doing this you will need to add more fish sauce and palm sugar.

Use palm sugar that is in a "block" form and shave it.

Put alot of effort into that mortar and pestle, the more effort the better it will taste.

You can freeze the paste once you have finished making it, this can make those weeknight meals etc abit less time consuming to prepare ;)

Lastly, as with any cooking, TASTE TASTE TASTE as they say on masterchef / my kitchen rules. This is just a guideline (a pretty good one :P ) but you may need to modify to suit your liking.