Tequila Lime Chicken Tacos

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

LizEriadoc

Tequila Lime Chicken Tacos

Post by LizEriadoc »

I haven't contributed any of my recipes to this point because I don't really have any recipes, per se. I don't measure stuff, and I'm more likely to make the same dish differently each time than I am to stumble upon consistency. So it makes it hard to share recipes with people. When I talk cooking with people, I generally talk technique and flavor profiles, and create from there. I realize most people don't operate this way, and my sister has badgered me for years to create recipes from my cooking. Here's one that I sort of put together for her.

Here in Texas, we have a huge Mexican influence in our cuisine. I was trying to come up with a filling for chiles rellenos one day and ended up with this. I usually just eat it in a taco now. It's versatile though, you can use it as a filling for enchiladas, chiles rellenos, tacos, etc. The key is patience and shredding the chicken rather than chopping.

Ingredients:

chicken (dark meat has more flavor, but works just as well with breast meat)
chicken stock (make your own from the carcass)
onions
garlic
red bell pepper
hot peppers of choice - I use jalapeno/chipotle or serrano, and I sometimes rehydrate a couple cascabels for the pulp, and maybe a piquin or two for added heat)
tequila
cilantro
cumin
mexican oregano (default "oregano" is most stores is actually Mediterranean oregano)
salt & pepper

Roast all the peppers under a broiler or over an open flame until the skins are blistered. Scrape/peel away the burned skin. Slice all peppers into long, thin slivers. If you want to use cascabels, simmer them in the chicken stock for about 30 minutes, then scrape the pulp away from the inside, discarding the seeds.

Cut uncooked chicken into strips with the grain, leaving the pieces as long as possible.

Slice the onions into thin slivers as well. Saute the onions in olive oil over medium heat until they're translucent, and then add garlic. Saute a bit longer, being careful not to burn the garlic. remove and set aside. Brown the chicken in the same skillet. Remove the chicken.

Deglaze the pan with tequila and then add in the chicken, chicken stock, onions and peppers. Cook on medium heat until bubbling, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer until half of the stock is reduced. You want to start out with enough stock to almost cover the chicken and reduce that to half.

Now remove the chicken from the simmer and let it cool for a few minutes. The peppers and onions should still be simmering, and this is when you'll add in the herbs. You probably want between one and two teaspoons of cumin per pound of chicken, depending on your taste. Do a tablespoon or so of mexican oregano. Do as much or as little cilantro as you like. Dried herbs are stronger than fresh herbs, so keep that in mind. Personally, I do about a half a bunch of cilantro per pound, or what comes out to about a quarter cup of firmly packed fresh cilantro.

Take the chicken that's been cooling a little and start shredding it. It's still going to be hot, so this is most easily accomplished with a fork and a pair of tongs. You want it shredded as thinly as is reasonably possible. Add the shredded chicken back into the seasoned stock and veggie mixture and add about a quarter cup of tequila. I probably do more. Raise the heat to medium-low and cook until most of the liquid is gone. Stir occasionally throughout.

The final product should be moist, shredded chicken. I usually serve it with pico de gallo, which I have my own recipe for, but the basic is onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, lime, and salt.
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

thanks for the recipe !

we cheat when making shredded beef for burrito's by using the slow cooker.. most of it tends to fall apart into shredded goodness and very easy to just stir it to get the last chunks out :)
biliy

Post by biliy »

Sounds good mate, will give this a go for sure.
B