Todays lunch Ocean Trout ala B (low carb)

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

biliy

Todays lunch Ocean Trout ala B (low carb)

Post by biliy »

I was bit off the weather so everything in the fridge didnt appeal to me. I wanted something quite plain, quite simple, quite fast

Looked in the cupboard, tins tins tins... /sigh...Tinned Tomatoes YAY!

On my lunhctime health walk, i popped into the fish market and bought a lovely piece (small) of Ocean Trout, skin ON.

Got home, prepped it by descaling, pin boning (weren't any), salt the skin and leave for a few mins.

While you are waiting finely chop and onion, the finer the better, put it through a garlic crucsher is best if you have one, make some crushed garlic to taste. but keep seperate. Keep the Onions and Garlic aside.

You will then see the salt on the fish go translucent, scrape off with the BACK of a knife, this helps take moisture away from the skin so you can get in nice and crispy. Now fine cuts across the skin in 1/4 in cuts on a diaganol to make it pretty once cooked. This takes all on 5 mins tops.

Heat some oil in a pan, get oil real hot but NOT smoking. Pop fish in Skin DOWN and press it with your hand, you wont get burnt with a couple of finger pressing into the fish. Now the next bit does depend on the size of your fillet but i think for 1/2 ' thick, is about 2-3 mins (for me, but thats VERY personal) but the oil should not smoke. If it does, turn down till it doesnt.

You can lift the edge of the fish to look for that lovely caramelisation (browning) happening. Once your happy with it and it does take a few practise runs, turn it over.

The objective is to ONLY colour one side, i.e. the skin side, so perhaps even turn heat down some. Cook for perhaps 1 min (on very small fillets, or for me about 1/3 the time on skin, its an artform i tell ya) or more to taste. I personally love da pink stuff so i might have my times a little shallow for some.

Ok, put a piece of kitchen paper on a plate, bench, any warm place, warm oven is also fine. Once you are happy with fishy, take off and place skin side UP on paper, we are trying to remove excess oil whilst keeping the skin crispy.

In your hot pan chuck in onions and soften, shouldnt take very long at all. Add garlic towards end of softening and turn down slightly as Garlic burns easily.

Most folks have a tin of crushed tomatoes in the cupboard, open it and being careful to manage the water content, add about 1/2 can slowly to the cooked onion/garlic mix, season to taste.

At this point you could add olives but i didnt have any left :(

Grab some fresh herbs (for me was parsley) from the garden, keep some to put on fish to serve (looks nice), chuck small amount of the finely chopped herbs into mix, stir through.

Take your fishy off the papers, dry your plate of the oil, put fishy back and drizzle the tomatoey mixture around the edge of the plate NOT on the fish. If you have done a great deal of "suace" you can put the mixture under the fish as a bed. If you have greens, such as borcolli or something meditteranean, /shurg that would go well too.

Took me longer to write this than make it.

:)
B
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

dislike fish. hmm and tomatoes.. hmm.. probably not for me but took some time reading it.. maybe I'll go get a hotcross bun :)
biliy

Post by biliy »

No doubt when i am feeling a little better i will post a meat-a-thon Thor

:)
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

today's fish is trout a la creme :P
Nuviana

fish

Post by Nuviana »

fish is about the only protein i eat myself and en papillote ( wrapped in paper, aka baking paper and some foil for me) is the most common way i cook it. its fast efficient and low clean up .

u can toss in lots of dif combinations of herbs and spices. and takes like 8 to 10 mins in oven while im changing out of my work gear. you can even be scarily healthy and toss some finely sliced veggies
Nuv

Because i am
Adun

Recipes

Post by Adun »

EQtraders.com have real recipes as well as EQ recipes. Fits perfectly if you're into tradeskilling or looking for something real to cook up.

Have fun with that! http://www.eqtraders.com/articles/news_page.php
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

nice find adun. I never noticed that :)