waste not want not

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

biliy

waste not want not

Post by biliy »

I havent posted anything for a while so here i start again.

Recently i have been roasting (or buying) a whole chicken (or Turkey over Christmas).

I have been keeping all the bones, etc in the fridge after as i have scoffing away.

Whack em all in a big pan add enough water to cover all the bits, add thyme, rosemary, parsley (most herbs are cool from the garden), cut an onion in half, bash up a garlic clove (if you like garlic) throw in any root veggies ya like and bring to boil, add salt and pepper to taste.

Low simmer for a couple of hours (no time limit really), the longer you reduce it the more concentrated it gets, lift off any foam that is at surface every so often.

Strain into a storage container and let it cool.

Once cold, "fat" will have risen to the top and you can take this off or keep depending on diet else if you leave it on, it acts as an anti-bacterial agent and lets you keep this stock for upto 2 weeks.

You can lift the stock off but then its best to freeze.

Much around with the herbs see which you like best. I try and keep it simple which means i have a useable stock for almost any stew/gravy/ even a curry. It just adds a lovely "depth" to the dish.
Nopayne

Post by Nopayne »

I didn't know Gordon Ramsey played a shammy.... Kidding aside I do this too with steak bones for a beef stock. The stuff is magic when you add it to food, it really highlights how artificial the shelf stock is.
biliy

Post by biliy »

Thats Gordo' Shamzy to you mate
Saburo

Post by Saburo »

They did much the same thing on Masterchef last season. Making your own stock is much better than those shitty cubes.
tavrah

Post by tavrah »

Freeze this in ice cube trays, for when your making stir fry and want / need a bit of broth :) or freeze in muffin tins for larger needs like gravey :)
The best thing I was ever told was ..." Gramma! I love you ... Forever !"
biliy

Post by biliy »

Yeah Tav great idea, do that already.

A mate was over, and we had a few ales too many late at night playing poker, at my place and grabbed an "ice cube" for his burbon and coke from the freezer.

He said,"hmmmm my Bourbon tastes funny", say no more

LOL
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

hahah.. damn I hope that was jowdii :P
Nuviana

stock

Post by Nuviana »

I place 1 cup serves of the stock zip lock bags in a plastic container to stop any leak and stack them in the container til frozen..they then take up little room and perfect size for usage.
Nuv

Because i am
biliy

Post by biliy »

Since teh new house, have a stand alone huge freezer trying to fill it with stuff so space (for once in my life freezer wise) is not an issue.

I tried to label everything and i still write on the outside of teh snap lock bags, date and what it is but feel its getting a wee bit too organised lol.
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

I find that shit just rubs off anyhow. we have always had a separate freezer/fridge.. never seemt o ahve any room.. maybe we should cook more at home hehe.