Chicken and sweet corn soup

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

biliy

Chicken and sweet corn soup

Post by biliy »

Hadn't posted for a while, well here goes again :)

Ingredients
1L (4 cups) chicken stock (make your own good stock, leftover chicken carcass plus left over root veggies, onion, garlic)
200g of any chicken meat shredded
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon cornflour
60ml (1/4 cup) water
1 x 420g can creamed corn (or just blend a cup of corn kernals)
1 x 300g can corn kernels, rinsed, drained
100g shaved ham, sliced fine
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon sesame oil
6 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Had some leftover chicken wings in the freezer and decided on a clear out, roasted them up, removed the meat and boiled up the skin and bones to produce the stock for above.

Nicked the recipie from taste but my trick was using leftovers to make as I also had some ham leftover (wtf??) from a Christmas in July :)

Add the soy sauce and ginger to the stock mixture. Place the cornflour in a small bowl and gradually stir in the water until smooth and combined.

Gradually stir the cornflour mixture into the consomme mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until stock thickens slightly. Add the chicken, creamed corn(or just stick blend a cup of kernels) corn and ham and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until hot.

Use a fork to whisk the egg whites in a small bowl. Gradually pour the egg whites into the soup, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.

Cook for 2 minutes or until white ribbons swirl though the soup. Remove from heat.

Add the sesame oil and half the green shallot and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup among serving bowls and sprinkle with the remaining green shallot.

Serve immediately with a crusty roll

Lush on a cold winter day
Nuviana

soup

Post by Nuviana »

Sounds yum. I have 2 large zip lock bags in my freezer . One is for chicken carcasses , I chop them into 4 so they pack in neatly. When I have 3 or 4 I make stock. The 2nd is for veg scraps, carrot and parsnip peel and tops , yes even the top and bottom of onions. (waste not want not). I throw it into the stock with whatever other veg I have laying around, few peppercorns, Cpl of bay leaves ( my treasured plant out the back) and if I don't have celery I use celery seeds (u have to have the celery). Cover it all with water and simmer for a couple hours. I use zip lock bags for the cooled and strained stock and freeze in approx. 2 cup amounts. Sounds hard work but it isn't. It takes a Cpl mins to throw stuff in stock pot..i strain through chux , cool overnight in fridge ,and easy peasy. NOTHING tastes better than home made stock
Nuv

Because i am
Kiizze

Post by Kiizze »

I like that idea Nuv, always feel terrible throwing out vege peelings, never thought to freeze them

Kiiz
biliy

Post by biliy »

yeah good one Nuvi, hadnt thought either :)