Baked Brie

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

Sandelin

Baked Brie

Post by Sandelin »

For those in guild chat last night... this is the closest I could find to what I was talking about last night.

Ingredients
1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed
1 round of brie cheese, about 1 pound in size
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tsp water

Instructions
Set out frozen puff pastry about 20 to 30 minutes before ready to use.
Roll out pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut off a 4-inch strip and set aside to use as decoration.

Place brie in center of puff pastry and bring up edges and crimp edges together around brie, sealing completely. Turn brie, crimped dough side down, on to a baking sheet. With remaining 4 inches of dough left cut out leaf design or anything you may want to use as a decoration. Place on top of dough covered brie. Refrigerate until ready to bake. This can be kept overnight for your convenience. Just cover with plastic wrap.

When ready to bake, remove plastic wrap. Mix egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water and brush entire dough covered brie.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Serve with cut fresh fruit, jellies or relishes.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Oh Oh yummy

/feints cause he likes cheese so much
Turook

Post by Turook »

Cheese teh gud (omg i'm sounding like Melo now)
Kulata

Post by Kulata »

mmmmm .. this ones going on my dinner party list =)
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

MMM - mine too - you can do a similar thing with Ricotta

Simply buy a wheel of ricotta, brush with beaten egg, bake in moderate oven until golden.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

I can swear by baked ricotta. Margaret River Cheese factory does a wicked baked ricotta premade
Sandelin

Post by Sandelin »

LOL... this is going to sound so Yankish.... Ricotta comes in a wheel? I have only seen it in a carton.... and you just brush and bake it.... I love Ricotta that is why I am so curious.... hehe
Tentrix

Post by Tentrix »

Ricotta comes in a round sort of shape, we say a wheel :P

I love Brie.....so that sounds yummy, I have never tried baked ricotta, may have to add that to the evergrowing list of goodies I will bake some day.
"The artist formally known as TENTRIX"
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

Yes you can buy Ricotta in a carton a little like cottage cheese, it tends to be a bit sort of 'mass produced'. Or you can go to the deli and buy it like you would any other cheese, they will cut a piece from a wheel, now you can either bake that - or buy a whole wheel and bake it. Depends on how many ppl you want it for. Ricotta doesnt have the same storage life as other cheeses and is a soft cheese. Baking it tends to make it harder and more suitable for slicing on salads
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.