Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

Karrni

Violet Crumble Cheescake

Post by Karrni »

Not for the fient of heart...

Base
200g Chocolate Buscuits Finely Crushed
100g Melted Butter

Combine these and press into the base of a greased (a layer of baking paper under the base is always good) springform tin.

Filling
250g Cream Cheese
400g Can Nestles Condensed Milk
300ml Carton of Cream (not pre-whipped or thickened)
2 large Violet Crumble Bars
1tbsp Gelatin
1/4cup Boiling Water

Mix the gelatine and water well and set aside

In a bowl, beat the Cream Cheese, Condensed Milk and Cream until thick and creamy (this recepie has to be bad for you. cream appeared 3 times in one sentence). Add the cooled gelatine mixture and mix through the crushed Violet crumbles. Mix so the mixture is even. Spoon over the base.

Refrigerate till firm.

Die of a sugar overdose... sigh.
Sonna

Post by Sonna »

I am so gonna try this one :) :twisted: :) :twisted: :)
"Life is tough, get a helmet"
Angelsheart

Re: Violet Crumble Cheescake

Post by Angelsheart »

Grarken wrote:Refrigerate till firm.
Die of a sugar overdose... sigh.
now rockcake it sounds like after it hardens :shock:

As for the 2nd part.. that would have fixed miru up :)
Tentrix

Post by Tentrix »

Wow, I am making this one on the weekend :wink:
"The artist formally known as TENTRIX"
Kofn
Site Admin

Post by Kofn »

Bleh was in the supermarket the other day and tried to buy the ingredients for this from memory... man I was way off. At least I got the Violet Crumbles right hehe.

Is Philadelphia ok for the cream cheese?

PS - Any suggestions welcome of what I can do with 600ml of thickened cream welcome (and keep it clean :P )
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

Philadelphia is cream cheese. There is no reason not to be able to use the thickened cream in place of normal. I believe thickened cream only has gelatine added anyway
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Karrni

Post by Karrni »

Yes Philadelphia or Neufchatel is ideal.

The reason why we don't use thickened cream is that the properties of mixing base cream is that it induces air bubbles into the mixture (which is what aids whiped cream into becoming firm). This lightens the cheescake far better than a pre-mixed gelatine based thickened cream. The cake is so heavy and rich, anyway to lighten it is a good thing.
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

True Grark - I meant to add that the mixture would be somewhat heavier and more 'solid' with the thickened cream than with normal cream. I also believe that the flavour would suffer very very slightly with using thickened cream. I reckon thickened cream has a very slightly altered flavour to normal cream.

However, if he has thickened cream and can't be bothered going to buy more , normal cream, then the thickened cream is an OK substitute.

Now, what to do with thickened cream if you no longer want it.
1. Open a tin of fruit and pour a good dollop of thickened cream over when serving.
2. Grill a couple of bananas under the grill or on a barbecue or a hot plate (do not peel bananas). Remove from heat (OK now you can peel the bananas) and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar, top with thickened cream.
3. Mix 1 tablespoon of gelatine in 1/2 cup STRONG hot coffee to dissolve. Beat the cream until light and airy (if possible) Add sugar to sweeten (I dunno, about 3 tablespoons - whatever looks and tastes right) Add chopped nuts and dried fruit to the cream. Add a couple of glugs of Kahlua or Tia Maria. Stir in the gelatine and coffee mix once cold. Set in fridge. Serve with more thickened cream flavoured with coffee (use instant for that). Decorate with slivers of angelica and marascchino cherries and walnut pieces.
4. Make a stack of pancakes, drizzle maple syrup over and top with thickened cream.
5. Make a batch of scones, cut in half and smear copiously with strawberry jam. Top with beaten thickened cream.
6. Make up some coffee, pour in a good glug of whatever alcoholic stuff turns you on (Caution: does not work too well with beer or guiness) and top with thickened cream.

There, that should slow you down a bit. If you like I can post the Coffee Jelly Bombe in more details in its own post. If I can find the recipe that is. I basically make this now from memory.
Last edited by Miruwin on Wed 18 May, 2005 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miruwin

Karrni

Post by Karrni »

I put on 10kg reading those suggestions and intend on making every one of them. yummo...
Aepoch

Post by Aepoch »

Gods Miru, now I'm hungry. You cook for a living, or just for the hell of it? :)

AFK, kitchens calling.
-Aepoch Tenchi
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

Nah mate - I just cook a little bit for family and friends only. Not a professional at all although I did do a couple of years as an kitchen hand in a pub restaurant. Pretty much ran the place because my boss spent most of the time high as a kite.
Miruwin

Melodionxxx

Post by Melodionxxx »

Here's my recipe

Take all that stuff...
Put it all on the table...
Take out your baseball bat...
SMASH THE CRAP OUT OF IT!

= Violent Crumble Cheesecake
Kofn
Site Admin

Post by Kofn »

Y'know...

- finely crushing 200g of chocolate biscuits is harder than it sounds. Really it is.
- it's hard to make a cheesecake without some sort of cake tin to put it in
- 1/4 cup of boiling water is not the same as 1/4 litre (aka excessive beer drinking in your youth really does adversely affect your memory)
- it's hard to beat cream cheese, condensed milk and cream using just a whisk
- Gelatine mixture doesn't cool very much while beating the cheese, condensed milk & cream with a mixer (maybe you're supposed to use a whisk?)
- licking the mixer beaters is as much fun now as it was 20 years ago
- cleaning up all the crap afterwards sucks as much now as it did 20 years ago when Mum was baking cakes
- 20cm round plastic containers make for an unusually tall cheesecake (I'll bet it's somewhat tricky to remove once it's set too).
- Digital cameras that no longer work are sometimes a good thing
- Bachelors should only visit the kitchen to use the fridge and/or microwave

I think Melo is on to something with his cheesecake technique. Might give that a go in future.

Spicy chicken cannelloni sounds good too... wonder if I'll try that next?
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

Hehe sounds like you had fun.. hmm pics of food.. I"m on it again :)
Yalaroo

Post by Yalaroo »

hey does any one know a really good site I can get australian food from any where in the world?
Selinea

Post by Selinea »

Yes there IS one...

Oh what is it called???

It's right on the tip of my tongue... /ponder
There is no right or wrong, there is only a path...
Mynks

Post by Mynks »

Wonder if you have to order SPAM or if it comes free of charge with other stuff.
Mynks BeenieBabyofDeath
Some nomes never die, they just become deaths playthings.