Savoury Mince

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

Thoraf
Site Admin

Savoury Mince

Post by Thoraf »

(flogged out of a brilliant cook book thing we have at home :) )

2 onions
1 tblspn oil
500g minced steak
1 tblspn plain flour
1 tspn salt
don't put pepper in my food stupid book
1 small beef stock cube (they come in different sizes? )
1 cup water
2 tspns worcestershire sauce

Chop onions finely and fry in oil until soft (I find nuking sliced onions in water for a time before frying can save you some oil and give you unburnt but cooked onion, cheers oz :) )

Add minced steak and pressing down with a fork, fry until brown all over and separate. Add flour, salt and dont think I'll be adding pepper actually fugg you, and toss well. Dissolve stock cube in hot water with worcestershire sauce.

Stir into pan, cover and bring to boil.

Reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 mins.

Serve on mounds of mash or steamed rice, with hot buttered toast.
Mazia

Post by Mazia »

Thoraf will stoop to extremely low things for his post count. Savory mince - wtf!
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

Yummm.. man seriously give that a go..

"Your mouth will love you forever"
Kysumu

Post by Kysumu »

Addition:

Next morning take left overs ... Add Pepper .. Add two pieces of Bread ... Pile leftover mince on one piece of bread .. Put other piece on top .. place on Sunbeam Sandwich press .. cook till golden brown .. eat .. rince repeat until full

This can be also used with Thor's Spagetti or anything else Thor cooks .. but you need to add Pepper .. hmm .. and usually some flavour as well

And don't get me started on Chicken and Mayo rolls :)
Kysumu
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

Savoury mince is a really old standby for country cooks. It was always a great Sunday night supper or a nourishing breakfast on cold winter days. The recipe I always use comes via my mother and grandmother.

1. Dice 2 large brown onions
2. FRY them gently until golden brown (Ignore the idea of microwaving in water if you want a good flavour)
3. Add around 500gm of top quality minced meat and fry on a medium heat until the mixture is brown and crumbly
4. Finely grate 1 carrot and 1 zucchini and a couple of mushrooms and tomatoes diced (add all or none - depending on preferences)
5. Add a stock cube or use my secret weapon, Vegeta vegetable stock powder
6. Add around 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs and as much parsley and/or chives as liked
7. ADD BLACK PEPPER (I like to use the cracked peppercorns - lovely flavour
8. The mixture should be moist enough to simmer gently for about 15 minutes, if not add a little water
9. Add around 1 tablespoon of worcestshire sauce and a 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
10. Make up a couple of tablespoons of cornflour blended smoothly in water and add to mince meat
11. Stir until thickened and allow to cook on a low heat for another 5 minutes.
12. Pile lavishly on toast and eat

A nice alternative is sweet chili sauce and oyster sauce or Ketjap Manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce) instead of the worcestshire and tomato puree. This works really well if you use a pork or chicken mince and swap the chives or parsley for coriander and a little lemon grass roughly chopped along with a couple of tahitian lime leaves. Don't add the mixed herbs but add garlic and ginger or galangal.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Tentrix

Post by Tentrix »

Serving Suggestions for Savory Mince

1. On Toast
2. In a toasted sandwich or jaffle as I call them
3. Piled over a serve of mash
4. Stir in cook pasta shells, top with mashed pumpkin and grated cheese and place under grill until cheese melts........(my favourite)
5. As it is....with bread smothered in butter
6. Any bloody way you can.......savoury mince is yummy!
"The artist formally known as TENTRIX"