Thai Style Chicken Soup

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

Miruwin

Thai Style Chicken Soup

Post by Miruwin »

Was feeling a little off colour tonight and didn't have a lot of ingredients so started tossing things together for a light soup. It turned out really excellent - trying to remember what was in it.

1 brown onion diced
1 small field mushroom thinly sliced
100gm chicken breast thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic thinly sliced
1 sliced shallott
grated ginger (ginger powder or minced ginger)
2 teaspoons dried coriander
vegetable or chicken stock
1 stalk of lemongrass
1 tahitian lime leaf
lime juice
1-2 tablespoons of Ketjap Manis (Indonesian Sweet Soy Sauce)
2 tablespoons Sweet Chilli Sauce

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pot and cook onion and chicken lightly
Add 6 cups of water and sufficient good quality vegetable stock powder (or chicken stock)
Add all remaining ingredients and simmer 10 minutes.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Twofisted

Post by Twofisted »

My Gawd Mir, although most of your recipes sound delectible, most of the ingredients are not available, or difficult to get, at least here in the states. I cant even fathom why you would have them on hand. But, since you do, create away. Its awesome that you have creativity on your side, and ingredients to back it up. I wish i had the forthought to buy stuff like that.

Good cooking,
Twofisted
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

Heheh two gotta agree with you.. I'll show you what I"d have done instead.

"Was feeling a little off colour tonight and didn't have a lot of ingredients so made some vegemite on toast. Yum. "
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

Not really a lot of exotic ingredients there. You wait until I start on the really weird stuff mate. Most of it is stuff that you would buy and have in your cupboard or whatever, like the dried coriander, the Ketjap Manis and the Sweet Chilli Sauce. I grow the lemongrass so its always available and I have a Tahitian Lime tree, plus I have other herbs growing. Although I'm damned if I can do much good with basil or coriander. I always have a galangal root or a piece of ginger in the fridge. Its a simple matter when you are wandering through the supermarket to buy one new type of sauce or a bottle of herbs. Pretty soon you would have it covered.

I always have on hand a good quality powdered vegetable stock, bottles of minced ginger, minced garlic, lemongrass, chilli paste (sambal oleck), bottles of lime squeeze, bottles of dried coriander leaves, coriander powder, coriander seeds, frozen green and red curry paste, several tins of coconut milk, palm sugar, shrimp paste, tamarind, ketjap manis, ordinary soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, hoysin sauce, paprika, carraway seeds golden mountain sauce (although Im close to not using this anymore - had a bit of bad press), minced basil and sesame oil.

Thats about it for my Asian style cooking bits and pieces. When I go shopping I just make sure I always buy shallots, mushrooms (although I do always have dried mushrooms around) and one of the nice chinese vegetables like bok choy or choy sum or chinese broccoli. I have at least 3-4 different asian noodles which I keep stored in the deep freeze.

So what do you find in that little lot difficult to get hold of Two?

PS In the USA coriander is known as cilantro
Miruwin

Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

WTF is this??????
Miruwin

Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Guessing offhand some inept dickhead trying to advertise? :)
There are no atheists in a hen house.

Turook

Post by Turook »

I thought all that got erased?

OI Thor /chop chop :)