Lamb Korma

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

biliy

Lamb Korma

Post by biliy »

/wave

Love curries so here is an easy start, a Lamb Korma.

• 1Lb (1/2kg) lamb steaks (can change cut) cubed (1 inch)
• 8oz can coconut cream or slightly more (or ½ grated coconut/double cream)
• 3 Tablespoons Mango chutney
• Quarter of an onion finely chopped
• 2 Teaspoon Curry Powder
• Half Teaspoon Chilli Powder
• 1 Finely Chopped Cayenne Chilli
• 4 Cloves Crushed Garlic
• 2 inches Root Ginger grated
• 5 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
• 4 Tablespoons roughly chopped coriander leaves
• 1 Tablespoon whole coriander leaves
• 1 Teaspoon Turmeric
• 1 teaspoon Garam Massalla

Method (and hints):

Make a paste of the curry powder, Turmeric and chilli powder with a little water. (For extra pungency, dry fry or roast above (use seeded version)seeds before pounding in Pestle and Motar.)

Fry the onion (until translucent) in the veg oil (more authentic use GHEE) then add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir fry on medium for a further 5 minutes (Garlic is more easily "burnt" than onion although same familiy, so add in AFTER onions are ready and cook on slightly lower heat)

Add the curry and chilli powder paste and stir in and fry for a further 30 secs.

Add the Lamb pieces and seal well on all sides. (If you have a small pan, or meat is too much for your size of pan, add meat in then seal it, take out and keep warm while you finish off rest of meat).

Add the cream, coconut, mango chutney and milk and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the lamb is cooked, stirring constantly. (Depending on cut of Meat, the more "fatty" or robust cuts, leave longer, perhaps even upto 2-3 hours, just make sure to add enough water. Rough rule, the leaner the meat, the less time it takes to cook.)

If needed add a little water to prevent the curry becoming too thick or dry. Now (at end of cooking) stir in the garam massalla and finely chopped coriander leaves and cook for a further minute.

Serve with the whole coriander leaves sprinkled over the top.

Munch that Curry!
tavrah

Post by tavrah »

Now this I am going to have a go at :) Thanks for posting it :)

Might be to much work for Thoraf though .. sorry had to say it :)
The best thing I was ever told was ..." Gramma! I love you ... Forever !"
Nuviana

curry

Post by Nuviana »

looks awesome. i had a friend whos mum made awesome curries. she taught me the basic spice mix that when u add dif things with..can make a cpl dif style curries. NOTHING beats curry made properly from scratch . (and left to develop a day or so)
Nuv

Because i am