Worlds Best Meat Pie

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

Giustin

Worlds Best Meat Pie

Post by Giustin »

You know times have changed when the Ranger starts posting recipes!

2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1.5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) chuck or blade steak, cut into 2 cm (3/4 inch) chunks
1 x 425 g (15 oz) can chopped tomatoes
5 garlic cloves, sliced
2 red onions, cut in half and finely sliced
1 stick celery, finely chopped
250 ml (1 cup) red wine
1 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
300 g (11/2 oz) button mushrooms
30 g (1/2 cup) flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, roughly chopped
1 x 375 g (13 oz) packet puff pastry
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Place the flour and paprika in a bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add the beef and toss until it is covered in flour. Place in an ovenproof casserole dish. Add the tomato, garlic, onion, celery, red wine and thyme and stir. Cover and cook for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms, cover and return to to the oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour, or until the sauce is thickened slightly and the beef and mushrooms are tender. Remove from the oven and stir through the parsley. The filling can be made up to a day in advance to this stage.

Increase the oven temperature to 200ºC (400°F/Gas 6). On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry until 3 mm (1/4 inch) thick. Using the top of a 325 ml (1½ cup) ovenproof ramekin as a template, cut out six circles of pastry, leaving 1 cm (½ inch) extra around the circumference.

Divide the pie filling into six 325 ml (1½ cup) ovenproof ramekins and cover with pastry, pushing down the edges around the rim. Make a cut in the pastry top with a sharp knife to allow any steam to escape and brush with the egg yolk. Pies can be made and refrigerated in advance to this stage. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is lightly golden.

Very easy to make (if I can do it, anyone can). I have made it many times and everyone raves about it. Would like to take credit .... but I can't. This was blatantly stolen from some n00b called Bill Granger :roll:
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

dude just reading the recipe list is harder than I like. so don't say it's easy to make :)

thanks for posting though eheh
Naervhun

Re: Worlds Best Meat Pie

Post by Naervhun »

Giustin wrote:You know times have changed when the Ranger starts posting recipes!
Naaaa it's just the inner girl coming out, it's in all rangers :orclol:
" If we would have known about this before we would have told you to shove that red pill right up your ass "
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Seeing this thread title, I was expecting something different
There are no atheists in a hen house.

tavrah

Post by tavrah »

Feann

Post by Feann »

too much stuff in this that isn't meat or pie!
tavrah

Post by tavrah »

This actually is quite tasty. :) We'll enjoy it again even my grandson's like it :) and the ramakins is a good idea especially for the little ones :)