egg n bacon slice

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

Nuviana

egg n bacon slice

Post by Nuviana »

6 eggs
bacon pieces ( about 1 & 1/2 cups i use of bacon bits)
1 onion diced or grated
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups pastry mix
1 cup grated cheese
salt/pepper
parsley (optional)

mix n pour into a greased dish

bake for 50 mins to an hr on 180 depending on fan forced or not.
Nuv

Because i am
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

That's more than 4 ingredients... no good for me :)

try 12 eggs and a shitload of bacon and onion. cook and eat, on toast by preference
Falern

Post by Falern »

This is almost identical to Mum's quiche I mentioned in the cleric channel the other night, just the balance of ingredients is different:

3 eggs
1 cup bacon pieces
1 chopped onion
1 cup grated cheese (usually tasty)
0.75 cup pastry mix
1.5 cups of milk
chopped parsley
salt/pepper

The result is a very rich quiche full of flavour - having less eggs compared to the other ingredients would bring out the flavours a bit more I imagine. Mum also occasionally embeds slices of tomato and/or capsicum in the top for additional flavour too.

Falern.
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

Old family recipe, not sure where it came from but my family have been cooking this for many generations and each new generation thinks 'ahh - that thing Mum used to cook, wonder how its made' and get to and experiment until its just right. Basically, there is no recipe. It's sort of a frittata meets quiche.

4-6 eggs
2-3 cups SR Flour
2 cups of milk or thereabouts

Chop up around 6 rashers of rindless bacon or use a heap of bacon pieces.
Chop up a couple of large onions into large dice
Brown onion and bacon in large heavy based fry pan then remove from pan.
Put flour into a large basin and break the eggs in.
Mix the eggs through the flour but don't worry too much about getting all the flour and egg evenly combined
Pour in some milk and mix until fairly evenly combined
Keep adding milk until its something like a batter consistency. The mixture should run but not be pancake runny
Add some chicken stock powder, pepper, parsley to the mixture and combine well
Add a small amount of oil to the heavy based frypan and heat up to a moderate heat. The frypan should have a tight fitting lid as well
Pour the batter into the pan making sure that the batter has spread evenly over the pan
Evenly distribute the onion and bacon mixture to the top of the batter making sure to get right to the edges
Slice up 3 or so tomatoes and add the tomato rings evenly over the top of the batter
Slice up 3-4 mushrooms and evenly distribute over the top of the batter
As you are doing this, you will notice the veggies start sinking into the batter and the batter is rising over the veggies and bacon
You can also add zucchini and capsicum, left over roast veggies, whatever takes your fancy really.
Put the lid on and cook slowly on top of the stove for about 30 minutes
Check it a few times and if it seems to be getting slightly too well cooked on the bottom, pour in a little water around the edge
When the top has set, liberally sprinkle grated cheese over the top and reseal until the cheese has fully melted
Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 5 minutes

You will then be able to slice it into wedges and its terrific either hot or cold and you can toss it into a container to take with you on a long drive someplace or out for a days yachting or to a picnic. Its very popular and guaranteed to be eaten.

Its a fantastic winter brunch or night time meal. It tends to be fairly heavy and sticks to your ribs nicely.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.