* 1/4 - pound white cheddar cheese grated
* 2 -tablespoons butter
* 2 - tablespoons flour
* 3/4 - cup milk
* freshly ground black pepper
* salt to taste

Directions

1. Place cabbage in a dutch oven and cover with water,
2. add the lime juice and salt and bring it to a boil.
3. cook the cabbage for one hour or until the leaves become soft ..drain well.
4. preheat oven to 350 degrees f. and line a 9x13 baking pan with the the bacon strips.
5. add a layer of the boiled cabbage and a layer of cheese.
6. repeat until all the cabbage and cheese have been used up.
7. in a heavy saucepan , melt the butter and stir in the flour.
8. when well combined, add the milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
9. add the black pepper. cayenne pepper, and salt and cook until slightly thickened
10. pour the sauce over the top of the cabbage .
11. bake in the oven until the top is bubbly and brown
12. about 20 minutes
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Selinea

Post by Selinea »

Wait "dutch oven" is an actual cooking term???
There is no right or wrong, there is only a path...
Sonna

Post by Sonna »

When i went to high school it was not... Possible new development in cook ware?
"Life is tough, get a helmet"
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

I have a couple of Dutch ovens - actually 3 of them - 2 of them are the Le Creuset range which I have owned for nearly 40 years. The other one is a much shallower type with a high domed lid which is around 32 years old.

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_oven

A Dutch oven is a thick-walled iron (usually cast iron) cooking pot with a tight-fitting lid. It is commonly referred to as a 'camp oven' in the Australian bush, cocotte in French, as a 'casserole dish' in British English, and is similar to both the Japanese tetsunabe and the Sač IPA: [satʃ], a traditional Balkan cast-iron oven.

Early European history

During the late 1600s the Dutch system of producing these cast metal cooking vessels was more advanced than the English system. The Dutch used dry sand to make their molds, giving their pots a smoother surface. Consequently, metal cooking vessels produced in the Netherlands were imported into Britain. In 1704, an Englishman named Abraham Darby decided to go to the Netherlands to observe the Dutch system for making these cooking vessels. Four years later, back in England, Darby patented a casting procedure similar to the Dutch process and began to produce cast metal cooking vessels for Britain and her new American Colonies. It is possible that because Darby’s patent was based upon his research into the Dutch foundry system that the cooking vessels he produced came to be referred to as “Dutch” ovens. Other researchers believe that this term may have come from the itinerant Dutch traders who sold cooking vessels out of their wagons as they traveled from town to town and door to door. Maybe both accounts are true. In any event, the term “Dutch oven” has endured for over 300 years. (Dutch Ovens Chronicled 3-4)
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Selinea

Post by Selinea »

Hmm interesting
...so when did it become farting in bed and pulling the covers over the other persons head? :P
There is no right or wrong, there is only a path...
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Selinea wrote:Hmm interesting
...so when did it become farting in bed and pulling the covers over the other persons head? :P
After scanning this timeline I narrowed it down to this point in time:

AnoPerson: Hi Mel, this is David. He wants to know if you do charity work, because he's a hopeless cause.
Chordling

Post by Chordling »

I thought a dutch oven was something you did in a car with the windows wound up and a bong...
Sonna

Post by Sonna »

Chordling wrote:I thought a dutch oven was something you did in a car with the windows wound up and a bong...
was my understanding also.
"Life is tough, get a helmet"
Naervhun

Post by Naervhun »

Epic Fail ....... Dutch Oven is when you fart and pull the sheets over the other person in bed with you, so as to trap them with the yes the smell! I'm thinking after this little dish would be a great time :orclol:
" If we would have known about this before we would have told you to shove that red pill right up your ass "
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Vexo wrote: AnoPerson: Hi Mel, this is meet David. He wants to know if you do charity work, because he's a hopeless cause.
Hilarious.
Marakesh

Post by Marakesh »

From the Unabridged Dictionary of Fart Slang:

Dutch Oven: n to fart in bed and then push your partner under the covers to enjoy the atmosphere.

Rolling Dutch Oven: n winding up the windows in the car to allow the passenger no respite from your noxious fumes, see Dutch Oven qv
Hiroki

Post by Hiroki »

Epic Dutch Oven: Eat Creamed cabbage, go to bed 3 hrs later, fart in bed and then push your partner under the covers to enjoy the atmosphere.
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

Marakesh wrote: Rolling Dutch Oven: n winding up the windows in the car to allow the passenger no respite from your noxious fumes, see Dutch Oven qv
For added bonus turn on the heater...
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

Lol if anyone did that to me they'd promptly be kicked out of the bed.. and i do mean kicked :P