Cheesy Mac

For fun and adventure

Moderators: Miruwin, Officers

Miruwin

Cheesy Mac

Post by Miruwin »

Here's one you can knock over in about 10-15 minutes without any cooking skills whatsoever. Its very tasty and great for a cold winter night. AND its dirt cheap.

Cheesy Macaroni

Actually it doesn't even have to be macaroni, use spirals, shells or normal long spaghetti. If you use long spaghetti, break it into three equal lengths to give lengths of about 8-9cms.

1. Toss however much pasta you think you can eat into a microwaveable container.

2. Throw in around the equivalent amount of water and microwave for the length of time recommended on the packet.

3. Once cooked, if there is any excess water, drain it off. Do not rinse the pasta.

4. Add around half to 1 cup of milk (depends on quantity you are making)

5. Chop up some cheap cheddar cheese into small cubes or whatever and stir through the warm pasta

6. Add a couple of good squeezes of normal tomato sauce (2 - 3 tablespoons and I prefer Heinz Tomato Ketchup for this) and stir through - colour should be a pink colour but not too bright pink.

7. Reheat for another couple of minutes for the cheese to melt a fair bit

8. Stir to blend the sauces, melted cheese and spaghetti a little bit better

9. Eat.

PS, if you want to fancy it up a bit, dice up an onion and mix it through with the cheese and microwave, and/or a good sprinkle of parsley, and/or some shredded ham if you have it.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

That could be worth a go I rekon.
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

The beauty of it is, you can eat it out of the container you cooked it in and your washing up is only a knife fork and bowl which you can just rinse clean under the hot water tap.

Cheap packets of Woollies spirals are around 50c a packet on special and you can get 4 huge serves out of it, if you use cheap Home Brand Cheddar, you use about 50c worth, a couple of squeezes of tomato sauce and a half cup of milk, about another 50c. You can be stuffed to the gills for about $1.50.

We aren't talking about buying top quality ingredients here, this is your cheap and cheerful recipe that you pull out when the Under 10 footy team crash your place after the game and need a quick snack before they go home. Cook it on the stove in huge quantities exactly the same way as you would in the microwave, only you will have a biiiiiiiiiiiig pot to wash out.

Of course there isn't a great deal of nutritional value except for the calcium and whatever else dairy products have and the carbs. But it is incredibly warming and filling.
Miruwin

Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

pfft.. nutrition is overrated!!

or use it as a side dish to steak and vege's :P
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

You surprise me - I didn't think you ate veggies.
Miruwin

Sonna

Post by Sonna »

mmmmmmmmmmmmm pasta!
"Life is tough, get a helmet"
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

I love veges.. though maybe prefer salad.. basically as long as there is meat I'll eat whatever side there is :P