Old player who still stalks EQ to this day

Moderator: Officers

Saburo

Post by Saburo »

Falern wrote:
Saburo wrote:Hey now... But... AFK/LD Cleric anyone?
I don't need to be playing to still be responsible for someone dying tho ;)

Falern.
Touché
Cyph

Post by Cyph »

varutia wrote: The game really isn't as daunting as it was released, it is much easier to play. One example is the original game got no map, which is the reason I still remember most of old world zones layout even now. Levels are much easier to obtain now, use to be from 51 to 60, one hour per blue bubble which translate to something like 25 to 30 hours per level for decent xp gain. These days completely solo you can level once each half to one hour from 51 to 60.

Staring at spellbook while you med prior to level 35, I am sure all the casters remember that one, that is gone as well of course.
P99 doesn't have the spellbook during meditation *wew*, I remember that all too well (don't know how we put up with it for so long).

I'm not in it for the leveling to tell the truth, just the experience. And it seems everything I love about Classic has been changed later down the track. I'm sure if Sony released a Classic server (without any expansions) and let people play on it, it would still be a hit (or maybe just what people consider to be the Classic EQ expansions). I am tempted to tell the truth but I think I'll have the same feeling as I did when I sub'ed to EQ2 about 2 years ago.
Saburo

Post by Saburo »

Cyph wrote:
varutia wrote: The game really isn't as daunting as it was released, it is much easier to play. One example is the original game got no map, which is the reason I still remember most of old world zones layout even now. Levels are much easier to obtain now, use to be from 51 to 60, one hour per blue bubble which translate to something like 25 to 30 hours per level for decent xp gain. These days completely solo you can level once each half to one hour from 51 to 60.

Staring at spellbook while you med prior to level 35, I am sure all the casters remember that one, that is gone as well of course.
P99 doesn't have the spellbook during meditation *wew*, I remember that all too well (don't know how we put up with it for so long).

I'm not in it for the leveling to tell the truth, just the experience. And it seems everything I love about Classic has been changed later down the track. I'm sure if Sony released a Classic server (without any expansions) and let people play on it, it would still be a hit (or maybe just what people consider to be the Classic EQ expansions). I am tempted to tell the truth but I think I'll have the same feeling as I did when I sub'ed to EQ2 about 2 years ago.
Classic is generally everything pre-Velious.

In Velious they overhauled the UI amongst other things and the hardcore classicists insist that's the cut off point. Myself I consider classic up to and including Luclin. After then it just slides down a slippery slope of shit.
varutia

Post by varutia »

Original is great, Kunark is so so for me, Velious is great as well. The game really started to change from Luclin onwards, PoP was a major game changer with raids being so centric to the expansion.
Cyph

Post by Cyph »

Well P99 is currently up to Kunark, and since that is new to me, that's great :) I still have heaps to see in Norrath so it's no biggy. The original EQ world was so big it puts new MMOs to shame.