Moderator: Officers

Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

Well, watched this movie this morning.

If you want a movie with great graphics, then this is pretty good.

If you want great acting, a plot that hangs together well, an epic blockbuster, then this is not it.

If you are after something that explores the so-called prophecy of the Mayan calendar and other spiritual/mysticism or even scientifically accurate and geologically sound theories, then this is also not it.

I rate it a 2/5 and only because of the great graphics. I found it somewhat boring in its predictability and following the set 'disaster movie' plot lines. If you can watch it for free then its OK to fill a dreary Sunday morning, if you have to pay for it, don't bother.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Miru went to 2012? Did Binn make you go? ;)

I don't understand the appeal of disaster movies. Special effects are nice but once you've seen one CGI earthquake you've seen them all, and if I were for some reason interested in watching countless people die screaming, I'd just play a first person shooter so I could kill them myself.
There are no atheists in a hen house.

curtis

Post by curtis »

it’s a so-bad-it’s funny hootenanny that runs out of hoot about halfway through, leaving us exasperated, out of popcorn, and wishing that the rest of humanity would just die already so we could go home

http://www.pajiba.com/film_reviews/2012-review.php

Pajiba: Scathing reviews for Bitchy people.

Having said that, I'll see it for the epic effects.
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

Ever heard of watching movies online - FOR FREE!
Miruwin

Tenam

Post by Tenam »

Okay, well, here's what I was thinking the whole time... shouldn't be a spoiler as you find out RIGHT away.... but... I'll keep it vague anyway. Anyway, why would the core of the earth heat up BEFORE the things (including humans) on the surface? Wouldn't we all die before the earth warmed up internally?
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

WARNING!!!!!

Do not click the link Curt provided - the page is coming up on AVG as an exploit - either phishing, virus or something else I don't remember.
Miruwin

Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Okay, well, here's what I was thinking the whole time... shouldn't be a spoiler as you find out RIGHT away.... but... I'll keep it vague anyway. Anyway, why would the core of the earth heat up BEFORE the things (including humans) on the surface? Wouldn't we all die before the earth warmed up internally?
Consider how a microwave oven works.
"Looks like Maz was right.. - Thoraf"
"Looks like Maz was right.. There can add me to your sig! - Kofn"
"*sigh* 'the maz is right' strikes again! - Zurt"
"Have you noticed that nobody who thinks 'Maz is right' still plays? - Melo"
"Now Melo doesn't play! Cursed! - Fny"
Tenam

Post by Tenam »

Yeah, makes living beings explode... my point exactly. ;)

Okay, well, it makes sense that the center would heat up first, .... but, I mean, consider they were talking thousand of degrees difference. I don't see how the surface temperature would still be survivable.

(Edited becuase I was too lazy to explain my thinking the first time around)
Last edited by Tenam on Mon 16 Nov, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curtis

Post by curtis »

I have AVG and it doesn't say that to me miru....I go to Pajiba a lot, no way is there anything bad there.
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

I have AVG and didn't get a warning either.
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

I did with Avast :)
Aedryen -The Everdying Druid
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Retired: Fladora, Healior
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Jarinu wrote:
You mean to state that the core contains water? If the movie states that the core heats up due to microwaves, I'd estimate that the atmosphere would have boiled off long before you saw much of a temperature increase in there.
Golgolath

Post by Golgolath »

Jarinu wrote:
Hypothesis: Iron core of object heats faster than liquid surface of object
Experiment:

1. Place a rock in the microwave.
2. Duct tape a hamster to the surface of the rock
3. Turn on microwave

Which object will boil first?
There are no atheists in a hen house.

Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Microwaves are not heat radiation. They're... microwaves. They send water molecules (and a bunch of organic compounds that we know and love...to eat) into vibrations, which acts as heating. Since they're reflected off of metal, you don't see those heating up... unless you achieve arcing and set the place on fire.

I'd say your best bet of heating up the core of our planet to any significant extent, would be to drag it into a close orbit tidal lock between Jupiter and Sol (i.e., you'd also have to move Jupiter). Of course, you'd probably scorch the surface bare again just due to the proximity to Sol.
Creac

Post by Creac »

Microwaves don't cook from the inside out, Maz, contrary to popular belief.

"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

It's a MOVIE. Piss off with the logic and the science shit :p
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

It wasn't the microwaves they were rabbiting on about, it was the neutrinos.

Supposedly these little buggers, most of which emanate from the Sun, surround us and around 50 trillion pass through our bodies every second.

Probably Vexo would be the best person to explain what they are good for in more detail.

Anyway, the premise of the film was that the physical properties of these neutrinos had changed and was having a direct effect on the core of the Earth. No explanation was given for this happening to the core and not to the atmosphere, Earth's crust or living organisms on the surface of the Earth.

Additionally, no explanation was given as to where all this massive amount of water which covered the Earth almost totally, came from or where it went to when we were all ''saved''. I mean, seriously! a tsunami (and attendant water rises) big enough to almost completely cover Everest????
Miruwin

Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Miruwin wrote:It wasn't the microwaves they were rabbiting on about, it was the neutrinos.

Supposedly these little buggers, most of which emanate from the Sun, surround us and around 50 trillion pass through our bodies every second.

Probably Vexo would be the best person to explain what they are good for in more detail.

Anyway, the premise of the film was that the physical properties of these neutrinos had changed and was having a direct effect on the core of the Earth. No explanation was given for this happening to the core and not to the atmosphere, Earth's crust or living organisms on the surface of the Earth.

Additionally, no explanation was given as to where all this massive amount of water which covered the Earth almost totally, came from or where it went to when we were all ''saved''. I mean, seriously! a tsunami (and attendant water rises) big enough to almost completely cover Everest????
I think you just spoiled the movie there, Miru, but I guess it doesn't matter!

And the neutrinoes is a by-product of nuclear reactions. Predicted from a mass/energy deficiency years and years ago and detected for the first time a number of years ago.

They're also (one of) the reason(s) why we know with absolute certainity that the Sun won't blink out tomorrow... what we call the "surface" of the Sun is the result of nuclear reactions that happened (but whose results have yet to make their way outta Sol due to its density) a long long long time ago (I can't remember if it's thousands or millions of years, but I'm leaning heavily to millions), while the neutrinoes, which travel pretty much unimpeded through Sol, are evidence of the nuclear reactions that are still ongoing.
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

I don't think I gave away anything that the movie's trailers didn't give away almost a year ago.

Also, the reviews are coming in and they are almost all incredibly bad.

One review I listened to gave the movie 1 out of 10, but only gave the 1 point because of the Russian actor in it. Me, I reckon the Woody Harrelson character stole the show and was the best character, although I admit the Russian was pretty neat.
Miruwin

Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Microwaves don't cook from the inside out, Maz, contrary to popular belief.
Well glad you felt you needed to chirp in.
So how did the microwaves cook?

Engineers soon found out that microwaves pass right through glass, paper, pastry, fats and most china. On the other hand, water absorbs microwaves very well indeed. The microwaves "shake" the water molecules directly. The molecules of water vibrate about 2.45 billion times each second, and as they rub against each other, this friction produces the heat for cooking. This is how microwaves cook.
Food in a microwave oven cooks from the outside to the inside. So how did this myth that microwaves cook from the inside start?

There are two possible explanations.

First, pastry and other fatty crusts are low in water. So if you heat a baked potato or a meat pie in your microwave, the pastry crust won't get very hot, but the contents inside will. As you bite into the potato or pie, you pass through the cool (low water) pastry crust into the hotter innards - and you burn your mouth.

Second, in that original post-War experiment by Spencer, the egg that he exploded did seem to cook from the inside. But that was because it had a shell that was low in water, and an inner core that was high in water. So the egg looked "normal" until the water on the inside turned into steam and exploded the egg apart. In this case, the inside (the water) cooked, and the outside (the shell) did not.
The core of the earth is predominately iron and due to its compressed and liquid form much more dense - the crust is not. Thus "consider the way a microwave works" QED.
Selinea

Post by Selinea »

Selinea wrote:Just on the whole microwave thing...

So water is "easier" or "quicker" to microwave, or at least facilitate microwaving?
So if you put an egg in the mircowave for 30 seconds - then another egg in a bowl of water in the microwave for 30 seconds - the one in the water will cook faster?
No. The bulk of the microwaves will be absorbed by the surrounding water.
There is no right or wrong, there is only a path...
Chunk

Post by Chunk »

hmm apparently i hit edit instead of quote =(

sorry sel, but i answered your question!

Oh and Jar - liquid iron is not the same as water. I can't tell you whether or not liquid iron will absorb microwaves well but I can tell you that an earth largely covered in water would boil off long before any microwaves made it to the center.
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Yeh but I was not saying Iron is water - geeze.

The question was why did the centre of the earth get all worked up without any effect on the outside. I was suggesting posible similar thing happened with the nutrenos IN THE MOVIE.

I am not suggesting thats what happens scientifically or in real life.
Micahle

Post by Micahle »

Jarinu wrote: The question was why did the centre of the earth get all worked up without any effect on the outside.
A:

Because it's a movie and they made it all up :)
Vexo

Post by Vexo »

Micahle wrote:
Jarinu wrote: The question was why did the centre of the earth get all worked up without any effect on the outside.
A:

Because it's a movie and they made it all up :)
Doesn't make it right. I see where you're coming from, but I do not agree that it should be applied so liberally.

Like, I'll accept Harry Potter, because it goes "Magic DOES actually exist, that's what makes all this possible"... I'll accept Indiana Jones and the Alien Skull, because it goes "Shit, we just found aliens that came here a long time ago".

This is different. They're making it seem as if they're not spouting complete bullshit, and alot of people will think it's real science (because why shouldn't they?)... and if you do that, you should at least bring your A-game, not just some half-assed moronic excuse for an explanation.

Still haven't seen the movie though :P This is just something I apply generally when watching shows or moves. Like Star Trek and Star Gate... Star Gate has alot more plausible technologies AND half the time (only half though) when they fall short, they revert to the "It's alien super tech". And that's a perfectly valid excuse, if you ask me.

A toaster would appear to preform magic to a cave-man... so would a food synthesizer to us, now, but maybe not in 500 years. It's all relative.