Hi Wreckers :) A question, if I may.

Moderator: Officers

Bel

Hi Wreckers :) A question, if I may.

Post by Bel »

Hi there.

I found a link to your website from the offical eq forums.

I was wondering if there is any point coming back to EQ now after so many years?

I played from classic and raided right up until qvic tacvi etc in gates of discord, and eventually gave my account away to friends, or risk getting carpal tunnel from playing a bard 4 nights a week. :(
(I hear you can /melody or something now to autotwist but it sounds like cheating haha)

After being disappointed with aion, burned out from years of the wow community etc, I have been thinking about coming back to EQ and wondered if anyone could give me an honest appralsal.

It was good to see some fellow aussies still around. I did have a few friends that had moved to TA on the Rathe, but they no longer play either.

If I created a brand new account, I wouldn't expect any handouts, or pling etc, just people to chat with and maybe look at a raiding/grouping etc down the track.

Just wondering if I'm tinging it all with rose coloured glasses, or there is still fun to be had.

Also is there any classes that are in desperate need these days or to be avoided? My main chars were Bard, Enchanter and Druid, so I was thinking of maybe trying something completely different if I did resub :)

Thanks for your time!

Bel
Zurtle

Post by Zurtle »

I wont lie, you would have some serious catching up to do, but SoE has done quite a bit to make it easier for new folks to come back with the hot zones (double or 1.5 times the exp in those zones), elegant gear (decent level gear to help progress), and increased AA experience. It would be a bit of a grind obviously, but EQ always was more of a grind than most other games I have played which is why I like it. Progression is fairly easy in Seeds of Destruction (the most recent expansion not counting the one in beta). You will be happy to know they added /melody to bards so its no longer 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 to twist.. just /melody 1 2 3 4.. The game is still a blast if you have people there to do it with you. No one like to solo all the time. The guild has some lowbie alts here and there, or you just might find a group of folks to quest with depending on what speed you want to go. Some folks like to burn their way to 85 (the highest level now) while others like to relive the old days and take their time visiting the old zones.

The population definitely isn't what it used to be, and getting groups can be rough, but us Aussies stick together! :P

As for classes, really just play what you want. I wouldn't say there is any shortage/overage? of classes. Casters got a huge bump in SoD so there are a lot of of those running around booming everything.. A good chanter is invaluable.. Rogues are still top melee..
Durus

Post by Durus »

Hi Bel!

EQ in general is pretty user friendly these days. I will suggest playing something with some familiarity if you do decide to give it a shot again.

Alot of helpful info around and if your willing to put in the time and effort I'm sure you'll find some people will do the same for you.
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

If starting form scratch, with a druid PLing you can mow 1-50 in a few hours 50-70 in a few nights etc etc. It's pretty easy to level, just keys can be time consuming but there are always guildies getting alts keyed etc to help out.
Aedryen -The Everdying Druid
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Retired: Fladora, Healior
Bel

Post by Bel »

oh wow, is that Aedryn from downunder-eq from the old days?

this is Xarine/Nyndari hahaha :)
curtis

Post by curtis »

Is EQ worth returning to?

Really depends what you are after. If your after that "magic buzz" you remember from long ago...forget it. EQ is old, there are not zones full of noobs chatting up a storm. There is no magic feeling of discovery every time you log in. (though it is still to be found from time to time)

What exists is a mature MMORPG with reasonable population. Most players are highish level and the game has been modified to make it a bit easier to get to that high level.

There are two australian guilds left. Us and TA. I would expect that our time in EQ is finite, though it is not in imminent danger of ending. We still have a fair bit of life in us.

Are you expecting to log in and find all the guild online...forget it. A lot of people are max aa's and done grouping zones to death. With the new expansion coming out soon, the nightly count will increase, but it will drop off again over time. Most people seem willing to make space in groups by dropping bots....though on a quiet night, it's not guaranteed.

But there is still raiding, and the people in EQ are a lot more mature than some other games we won't mention. The game can still be rewarding and fun, but it's the people that keep us playing.
Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

and the occasional poke from old members who drop by our forums to give us a stir :P
"Looks like Maz was right.. - Thoraf"
"Looks like Maz was right.. There can add me to your sig! - Kofn"
"*sigh* 'the maz is right' strikes again! - Zurt"
"Have you noticed that nobody who thinks 'Maz is right' still plays? - Melo"
"Now Melo doesn't play! Cursed! - Fny"
Bel

Post by Bel »

that's fine, I wasn't expecting to see freeport bustling with lowbies or groups clamouring over camps in Crushbone.

Just wanted to see if there was going to still be people in my timezone :)

I might buy the all in one pack, try out this new merc system with my partner who has never played eq before past dabbling on a trial account and see if we want to stick it out.

thank you for all the information :)
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

oh wow, is that Aedryn from downunder-eq from the old days?
Yup it sure is :)
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Jarinu

Post by Jarinu »

Sounds good man - the merc system really does open up a lot of posibilities for players lacking people to play with. No more need to box the computer will do it for you for a price :P
"Looks like Maz was right.. - Thoraf"
"Looks like Maz was right.. There can add me to your sig! - Kofn"
"*sigh* 'the maz is right' strikes again! - Zurt"
"Have you noticed that nobody who thinks 'Maz is right' still plays? - Melo"
"Now Melo doesn't play! Cursed! - Fny"
Jorgurorf

Post by Jorgurorf »

I left at level 75 and returned after more than a year and thanks to group of great friends & guildies got to 85 and got spells and mostly all new stuff in a couple months and i am really loving it.
Live life like there is no tommorow

Oharra

Post by Oharra »

haha Xarine and Aedryen

were you guys on Bertox or Stromm (can't remember it's been 5-8 years)
stromm in remnants of gondwana or bertox in deadly sins

I was either Hisszar (monk on bertox) or Xarconi (Cleric on stromm)

I came back a month ago. playing a bard now.
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

If you do decide to come back and create a new char, give me a yell. One of my bots is carrying so much junk noob gear and could probably outfit an army of players. I would be happy to be rid of it, I have soooo much stuff stored away.

If I don't have items, I can easily farm them up for you. Give me something to do. I'm one of those max exp, max AA, max tradeskills, max skills ppl.
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Thoraf
Site Admin

Post by Thoraf »

yeah miru has max leet skills :P

and untilt he new expansion many are looking for side projects.. twinking a lowbie could be somethign to do hehe
Miruwin

Post by Miruwin »

FEAR ME!!!!!!

Even my begging is maxed!
Miruwin

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Bel

Post by Bel »

Oharra wrote:haha Xarine and Aedryen

were you guys on Bertox or Stromm (can't remember it's been 5-8 years)
stromm in remnants of gondwana or bertox in deadly sins

I was either Hisszar (monk on bertox) or Xarconi (Cleric on stromm)

I came back a month ago. playing a bard now.
oh wow, hey Xarconi, there's another blast from the past name :)

Xarine was in Remnants of Gondwana on Stromm.

I knew Aedryn from my old old eq days playing my enchanter Nyndari on Veeshan. She was in HK.. we were more of a lolrp group than anything serious, but it was some fun times.
I think aed was in Companions, if memory serves, been more than a few years.

I made a char on the rathe cause apparently a few of my old friends were there according to sarenot, but so far I haven't caught anyone online and the only time I even saw him online was someone using him for pet toys, so meh I dunno what to do.

Nice to see another old name though :)
Aedryen

Post by Aedryen »

hhah wow that is taking me back I think I was in Comps in 99/2000 I was then in COE/CD for most of y time on Veeshan and I had some stints in FOH but they were seriously hard core :P
Civin - The Purple Bard
Nevyen - No-one...

Oharra

Post by Oharra »

Bel wrote:
oh wow, hey Xarconi, there's another blast from the past name :)

Xarine was in Remnants of Gondwana on Stromm.

I knew Aedryn from my old old eq days playing my enchanter Nyndari on Veeshan. She was in HK.. we were more of a lolrp group than anything serious, but it was some fun times.
I think aed was in Companions, if memory serves, been more than a few years.

I made a char on the rathe cause apparently a few of my old friends were there according to sarenot, but so far I haven't caught anyone online and the only time I even saw him online was someone using him for pet toys, so meh I dunno what to do.

Nice to see another old name though :)
haha sarenot i remember also

well if you wanted to come to bertox and make a toon i'm sure i could hook you up with some gear and money and a few levels.

these folks here at wreckers are a fantastic bunch also, maybe you could find a new home 8)